PhD Studentship: Using data and analytics for better marketing decisions
Dramatically improved access to relevant data poses both opportunities and challenges for contemporary companies as they strive to use the data effectively in their strategic and tactical decision-making. As analytics already plays an important role in identifying market trends, predicting demand, automating customer value management and setting prices, for example, increasing number of companies are trying to make the most of the data available to them. At the same time, relatively little is known about effectiveness of marketing analytics deployment, as well as about best practices and key barriers for deployment of data and analytics for key marketing tasks: value creation and value capture. To these ends, potential questions for this PhD topic include: How effective UK companies are in deploying data and analytics in their marketing decision-making? What are good data-driven firms doing particularly well, and what are the key organisational barriers for deployment of data and analytics? What is the new skillset required from marketing professionals in contemporary firms, and how UK higher education could better respond to these needs?
Research in this subject area is currently undertaken by members of the Department of Digital and Data-driven Marketing.
Please ensure that in the online application form you enter in the dedicated spaces:
- The title of the research area: “Using data and analytics for better marketing decisions”
- For funding, that you wish to be considered for the 2018/2019 Faculty PGR Scholarship.
- The successful candidate will start on 1 October 2018. The scholarship will offer full tuition fee and maintenance funding for 3 years. The doctoral stipend for 2017/18 is currently £14,000.
- This studentship is only available for full time programmes and is open to applicants from the UK, the EU and overseas.
- As part of the application you will be required to submit a CV, research proposal, degree certificate and transcripts, two academic references and proof of English language proficiency.
- The deadline for applications is 15 February 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Shortlisted candidates will be informed of interview arrangements between February and March 2018.
- The awards will be allocated by end of April, with the outcome being communicated to the candidates in May.
If you wish to discuss any details of the studentship informally, please contact:
For specific research subject enquiries (i.e. research proposal):
- Dr Mee Chi So M.So@soton.ac.uk
- Dr Matti Jaakkola M.J.Jaakkola@soton.ac.uk
- Dr Andrew Farrell A.M.Farrell@soton.ac.uk
For general programme enquiries:
- Programme Director: Professor Laura Costanzo email@example.com
Please mention reference FBLA-BUS-005 in the scholarship section of your application.