Technical Officer (Three-year contract)
4 days left
- Full Time
Location: South African Centre for Epidemiological Modelling & Analysis (SACEMA)
Faculty of ScienceSouth African Centre for Epidemiological Modelling & Analysis (SACEMA) Technical Officer (Threeyear contract)(Ref. NW11/045/0218) The South African Centre for Epidemiological Modelling & Analysis (SACEMA) is a national research centre established under the Centre of Excellence programme of the Department of Science and Technology and the National Research Foundation and based at Stellenbosch University. SACEMA specialises in modelling and analysis to improve health in South Africa and across the African continent. Trained in mathematics, biology, physics, economics, statistics, and epidemiology, our researchers bridge disciplines to understand disease dynamics and improve realworld outcomes. SACEMA is hiring a Technical Officer to be based in Stellenbosch and to report to the Director. The ideal candidate would have extensive experience in database management and software development in support of scientific research, a firm grasp of the challenges of data management in a research setting, and the ability to work independently as well as in a team. The position may be filled at post level 8 or 9, depending on the level of experience.
- Developing data management systems, including complex relational databases and data import/processing scripts;
- Frontend and backend web development;
- Contributing to research software projects;
- Supporting research projects and training activities;
- Providing technical assistance to SACEMA staff and for events. Job Requirements/Pos VereistesUniversity degree in a relevant discipline, OR a threeyear diploma in Information Technology and at least five years’ professional experience in software development and user support;
- Minimum five years’ relevant experience (software development, database management, database administration or ‘analytics’;
- may include professional experience or postgraduate study for appointment at post level 9);
- Experience managing complex relational databases;
- Experience designing complex relational databases (for appointment at post level 8);
- Demonstrated competency in web application development;
- Familiarity with Unix systems administration and application deployment;
- Demonstrated ability to quickly produce readable, reliable, and maintainable code;
- Demonstrated ability to quickly acquire new skills and work in a collaborative environment;
- Very good written and verbal communication skills.
- Honours or Master’s degree in a relevant discipline;
- Experience in research data management and data cleaning;
- Experience with the MySQL or PostgreSQL RDMS’s;
- Scientific programming experience in R or Python;
- Experience with ‘testdriven development’ and other best practices in software development (e.g. source code version control) Required for post level 8;
- Project management experience;
- Experience with the ‘Shiny’ web application framework;
- Web development experience using Jekyll or similar frameworks;
- Experience teaching scientific computing, web development, or other relevant skills Required for post level 8.
How To Apply
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment. Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and email address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online by using the "Apply Now" link. Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments. The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates. Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof Juliet Pulliam on 021 808 2589, or on email@example.com
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753
Commencement Date 15 Mar 2018
Closing Date 26 Feb 2018
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in Africa
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science and IT jobs in Africa
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science jobs in Africa
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') General Computing jobs in Africa
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Information Science and Technology jobs in Africa