Head of Research and Policy, New Nuclear Watch Europe (NNWE)
NNWE was established by the former Energy and Climate Change Select Committee Chairman, Tim Yeo at the end of 2014 to ensure that nuclear power is recognised as an important and desirable way for European governments to meet the long-term energy needs of their countries. In the last three years NNWE has become an increasingly influential voice in the debate about the future of the nuclear industry, both within the UK and throughout Europe.
NNWE is now looking to focus on research into nuclear and wider energy matters in order to inform the debate about nuclear not only in the UK but also in Europe and the wider world. To that end, NNWE is planning on creating a research arm with a permanent research base in London. To lead the day-to-day work for the research programme, NNWE is looking to recruit a Head of Research and Policy who will be supported by another team member to undertake the administrative and events work.
1. To develop and lead a coherent and coordinated policy and research programme that supports NNWE to grow its influence and visibility.
2. To establish, promote and maintain relationships with NNWE’s key audiences including politicians, policy makers and other external agencies
3. To support the Chairman in delivering the established goals of NNWE
4. To manage the day to day operations of NNWE
Design and implement a research programme including internal research and external commissioning of research into the development of nuclear power around the world.
- Contribute to the strategic development and delivery of NNWE’s goals which include the development of a positive international landscape for the development of new nuclear
- To lead research projects with other researchers (both UK and international) on particular issues of interest in nuclear and the wider energy debate
- To commission thoughtful and agenda setting pieces of work, working with a range of partners including think tanks, industry and academic researchers.
- To produce a wide range of high quality written outputs for various audiences including well targeted research reports, policy briefings, blogs and other media articles
- To work closely with the Chairman to develop policy and presentation materials for his appearances at international conferences and events
- To work closely with media relations consultants to promote NNWE’s research and output.
- To ensure that NNWE stays abreast of key policy developments and relevant external issues that could impact on the positive development of new nuclear power
- To establish and maintain good working relationships with other international organisations working in the area of nuclear energy policy.
- To work with the events executive to organise effective roundtables/conferences and other events to showcase NNWE’s research
- To work with the Chairman to establish, promote and maintain relationships with politicians, policy makers, the sector and other external agencies to promote the positive development of new nuclear.
- To work with the events executive to provide the secretariat and support for NNWE including members relations, social media, internal communications.
- To develop and utilise NNWE’s academic advisory group – comprising leading academics and policymakers in nuclear power
- To work with the Chairman to develop the membership
- To act as an ambassador for NNWE, continuously championing its objectives, brand, vision and values both internally and externally
- Manage, recruit, train, motivate, develop and line-manage staff including setting up staff procedures. This staff member is also currently being recruited.
- Effectively manage staff performance, setting and monitoring standards and develop a positive culture
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Considerable proven experience in leading the production of energy policy and research outputs including full research programmes, reports and surveys
- Extensive knowledge of energy policy, in particular nuclear energy policy
- Proven experience in research and evaluation management and methodology including analysing quantitative and qualitative data
- Knowledge and demonstrable experience of developing, delivering and evaluating evidence based campaigns
- Proven experience with a successful track record of dealing with key influencers from other organisations
- A degree or post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence successfully
- Demonstrable experience of public speaking and representing an organisation at senior levels
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as work as a member of a team
- Experience of managing staff
- Ability to operate at a senior level including close working with the Chairman and members
- Experience of overseeing projects and ensuring they deliver on time and to budget
- Ability to develop systems and procedures
- Able to work outside of office hours as the role demands.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Environmental Sciences jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Social and Behavioral Sciences jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Geography jobs in United Kingdom