Senior Lecturer - Department of Biochemistry, Genetics and Microbiology
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Teaching in Biochemistry at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Leading an independent research programme in the Department;
- Supervising postgraduate students;
- Networking and collaborating with internal, national and international colleagues and institutions.
- A PhD-degree in Biochemistry or an appropriately aligned field;
- An established publication record and evidence of local recognition (if from a South African university e.g. NRF Y-rating);
- Evidence of successful on-going and completed postgraduate student supervision at MSc and PhD levels;
- Successful acquisition of research funding;
- Teaching experience at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- In-depth subject knowledge in Biochemistry;
- Excellent communication skills and computer literacy;
- A student-centred mind-set;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Teamwork and good interpersonal skills;
- Multi-disciplinary research skills.
Added advantages and preferences
- More than five years' experience in a tertiary education environment;
- Specialisation in Biochemistry or Molecular Biology;
- Membership/affiliation of national scientific and professional bodies;
- Evidence of community engagement activities;
- Experience in curriculum development.
The total remuneration package for this position ranges from approximately R 546 179 to R 702 103 as determined by UP policy guidelines. (These amounts include the University's contributions to standard UP benefits, namely provident fund, group life and funeral cover, but exclude contributions to medical aid, as the latter varies per employee.) UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
Closing date: 31 January 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Prof Anabella Gaspar, Tel: (012) 420 2481, E-mail: Anabella.Gaspar@up.ac.za
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 April 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Life Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Cell and Molecular Biology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Chemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Biochemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa