Research Scholar - Human Development
Aga Khan University is a private, not for profit, international University established in 1983, with 11 teaching sites in eight countries. Since 2001, AKU has offered academic programs in nursing, medicine and education in East Africa. The Graduate School of Media & Communications is set to offer its Master of Arts program in January 2018.
The Institute for Human Development (IHD) Aga Khan University, is recruiting a full-time Research Scholar with a strong academic research background and demonstrated experience in securing external funding to support a programme of research in human development. The selected candidate will be based at the Institute's Administrative Office, currently located on the Nairobi Campus of the University.
Applicants must have credentials commensurate with appointment at the level of Associate or Full Professor and their career history must clearly demonstrate a strong track record in the supervision of graduate students (at the master's and doctoral levels) and post-doctoral research fellows.
- Develop and lead a programme of research in areas of expertise
- Pursue external grants actively to support existing and new lines of research
- Develop cross-disciplinary and cross-campus research collaborations
- Contribute to the building of relationships with Aga Khan Development Network entities to ensure the Institute's work enhances the quality of field programmes and Aga Khan Development Network's field work enriches the Institute's research and translational work
- Contribute actively to knowledge on human development through high-quality publications
- Translate research into knowledge forms usable by practitioners, policy makers, and advocates
- Build relationships with communities and community-based service agencies to help ground the Institute's work in real-world issues and questions
- Contribute to the development of a programme of pre-and post-doctoral research education
- Contribute to the mentoring of AKU faculty in their early career stages
Candidates must hold a PhD degree (or comparable research doctorate) in any of the behavioral, social, and health science fields that contribute to existing knowledge bases on human development. The position requires expertise in early human development, with a line of inquiry focusing particularly on cutting edge questions on the period before birth to age 8 years.
Examples of qualifying fields include, but are not limited to, the developmental sciences (e.g., developmental neurobiology/neuroscience, developmental/cognitive psychology, developmental epidemiology), maternal and newborn/child health and nutrition, cultural psychology, anthropology, family studies, child protection, early childhood education, environmental and architectural design with a focus on safe spaces for children etc.#
Applicants must possess strong research and scholarly writing credentials and show evidence of ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with others.
Summary of preferred skills & competencies
- A record of successful grant acquisition
- Evidence of collaborative research and scholarly writing activity within and across disciplines
- A strong record of thesis/dissertation supervision
- Evidence of, and, strong interest in mentoring early-career faculty
- Ability and willingness to contribute to an organizational ethos characterized by responsible citizenship, collective problem-solving, and respect for all forms of persity.
Interested candidates should submit a Cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae, names and email contacts of three professional referees, telephone contact, e-mail address and copies of relevant academic certificates as well as transcripts to, the Manager, Human Resources, Aga Khan University's Campus Nairobi, Kenya. P. O. Box 30270-00100 or by email to email@example.com . Applications by email are preferred.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Kenya
- Environmental Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Kenya
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Kenya
- Geography Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Kenya
- Sociology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Kenya