Junior Researcher - Ecology/Fisheries Biology and/or Social Sciences
Job summary: The Algarve Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens a call for a Junior Researcher (M/F), of any nationality, including stateless candidates under an uncertain term employment contract, under Sistema de Apoio à Investigação Científica e Tecnológica (SAICT) - Call nr 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto de Investigação Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico (IC&DT), funded by Investment and Structural European Funds (FEEI) - Programa Operacional Regional do Algarve and National Funds (FCT-MEC) under the research project “CLIMFISH: Análise da vulnerabilidade da pesca costeira às mudanças climáticas na costa Portuguesa, ref. ALG-01-0145-FEDER-028518”.
The junior researcher will be responsible for/to:
- Carry out research, publication and support debate around climate change impact in key commercial fish species and fisheries, assess socio-economic impacts and promote adaptation strategies.
- Organize and promote workshops among scientists, fishing producer's organizations, fishing industry, fishing professionals, managers and fisheries police makers and in-person meetings with multiple stakeholder groups that could be used for fisheries management and conservation under climate change threats.
- Work and help to coordinate the multi-disciplinary team (climate scientists, ecologists, socio-economists, oceanographers) within a good working environment.
- Evaluate the effect of climate change impacts on key fish species (evaluate sensitivity, exposure and adaptability based on species biological and ecological traits) and evaluate climate change effects on fisheries socio-economic related activities (sensitivity, exposure and adaptability of the fishing sector).
- Help investigate and test new approaches, tools and methods to characterize and predict fisheries climate vulnerability and enable climate adaptation at regional scale.
- Participate in developing reports and scientific papers on issues related to climate change vulnerability, impacts and adaptation (using good communication skills and an ability to simplify language for different fisheries stakeholders).
- Help to lead an independent research and to apply to funding.
- Train researchers at the graduate, master and doctoral level.
Starting Date: The contract is expected to start in March 2019 and will remain only for the necessary execution period of the working plan.
Workplace: the activities will be developed at CCMAR installations (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Portugal) and/or other necessary locations to their execution.
Working Schedule: 35 hours per week.
Monthly Remuneration: Gross monthly Remuneration is 2.128,34€, in accordance with subsection a), section 1, article 15 from Law nr 57/2017, 19th July, and with the remuneration position at initial level predicted in article 2 of Regulatory Decree nr 11-A/2017, of 29th December, correspondent to level 33 at Tabela Remuneratória Única, approved by Order nr 1553-C/2008, 31st December.
Application Period: between 24 of December 2018 and 24 of January 2019.
Mandatory Required Profile:
- PhD in Natural Sciences, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences, Social Sciences or related area.
- Research experience in the climate change field or related area.
- Specific knowledge in marine environment ecosystems, fisheries activities (including social economic importance) and of the climate effects at fisheries activities.
- Excellent research capability demonstrated through publications, technical reports and presentations at conferences.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills.
- Be a holder of a B category-driving license (with permission to drive in Portugal).
- Fluent in English language.
Non-compliance with any of these requirements invalidates the application. The decision to exclude the application is communicated to the candidates by electronic mail for hearing with interested parties. Provision of false documentation will be punished by law.
Members of the Jury: in accordance with article 13º of RJEC the jury is composed of Dr. Francisco Miguel de Sousa Leitão, researcher at CCMAR (President of the jury); Professor Dr. Maria Alexandra Anica Teodósio, researcher at CCMAR, associate Professor with aggregation and Vice Rector at Algarve University (member), and Professor Dr. Paulo José Relvas de Almeida, researcher at CCMAR and Auxiliary Professor at Algarve University (member).
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal
- Environmental Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal
- Life Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal
- Cell and Molecular Biology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal