Clinical Assistant: Bovine Health and Production - Department of Production Animal Studies
DEPARTMENT OF PRODUCTION ANIMAL STUDIES
CLINICAL ASSISTANT: BOVINE HEALTH AND PRODUCTION (THREE-YEAR CONTRACT APPOINTMENT)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 10
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Faculty of Veterinary Sciences has one opening for a qualified veterinarian who would like to specialise in Bovine Health and Production with particular emphasis on Dairy Production Systems, by completing a MMedVet-degree. Please see programme information at: https://www.up.ac.za/en/yearbooks/2019/VET-faculty/MA-programmes.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- An advanced training programme in Bovine Health with particular emphasis on Dairy Production Systems, with the view of obtaining the MMedVet(Med)-degree;
- Clinical/practical training of undergraduate students in Bovine Health;
- Departmental research and publications;
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital and surrounding community, including a 24-hour service;
- Community engagement activities;
- Departmental administrative duties as delegated by the Head of Department.
- A BVSc/BVMCh-degree or an appropriate equivalent veterinary qualification;
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a veterinarian with the South African Veterinary Council;
- Two years of clinical veterinary experience in bovine health and production aspects, with subject knowledge of the relevant farming sector.
Required Competencies (Skills, Knowledge and Behavioural Attributes):
- Compliance with entry requirements for a Masters' programme with a commitment to enrol and complete an MMedVet-degree within the prescribed timeframe;
- Computer literacy (Windows, MS Office, internet);
- Out-of-hours availability for rotational clinical services, including time away from the Faculty;
- Good language and communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team (relate to students, colleagues and supervisors).
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- Comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Statement of particular field of interest and proposed field of specialisation, as well as planned goals to complete a Masters' programme in three years;
- Self-evaluation addressing each of the minimum requirements (points 1-3) and required competencies (points 1-5). Applications that do not specifically address these in the evaluation may be rejected.
Closing date: 15 February 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Dr R Moerane, Tel: (012) 529 8013
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 April 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.