Lecturer - Department of Public Law
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Lecturing in a variety of modules offered by the Department of Public Law at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Conducting academic and scholarly research;
- Supervising masters and/or doctoral students;
- Mentoring students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Performing academic administration and management;
- Performing other duties as delegated by the Head of the Department.
- At least a LLM specialising in one or more of the following sub-specialities: Administrative Law; Socio-economic Rights Law; and International Humanitarian Law;
- At least one year lecturing or related experience at a tertiary educational institution;
- Preference is given to candidates who have completed a doctorate in any of the afore-mentioned fields.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- The ability to undertake independent research leading to quality publications or evidence of already published quality accredited publications;
- An in-depth understanding of the area of specialisation to enable the development of new knowledge, innovation and understanding within the field;
- Ability to plan and initiate discipline-related research;
- Ability to prepare and present interactive and innovative lectures to undergraduate and postgraduate students;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team;
- Appropriate communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience in curriculum development;
- At least two substantial publications (either in peer-reviewed accredited journals or chapters in scholarly books) in the previous three years;
- Evidence of community engagement reflected in the candidate's research and/or teaching;
- A doctorate in the candidate's field of speciality;
- Tertiary teaching experience in (International) Environmental Law;
- Relevant academic administration experience.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
CLOSING DATE: 15 March 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Khosi Manana, Tel: (012) 420 3126
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 April 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.