Postdoctoral Research Position - Nuclear Physics
In recent years, attempts have been made to bridge modern aspects of nuclear physics and nuclear EDF with the goal to render less empirical the latter approach and to directly link the EDF ingredients with properties of the underlying quarks and hadrons. This bridge would remove part of the uncertainties in the construction of a nuclear EDF. Such a timely project is still at its early stage and many aspects need to be clarified in the next few years.
Duties and responsibilities
The candidate will work along this direction and the following major results are foreseen:
- Validating a strategy for designing ab-initio-type EDF functionals, based on completely microscopic ingredients and benchmarked on ab-initio EFT-based results.
- Progressing on the definition of a power counting for EDF to unambiguously associate functionals to each order of the perturbative many-body Dyson expansion (for instance for mean-field and beyond mean-field models).
- Using microscopic functionals for systematic predictions in applications to study for example low-lying modes and giant resonances.
- Using also properties of Fermi gases at the unitary limit to further reduce (or eliminate) the parameters dependence of the new-generation EDF functionals.
- Theoretical work to bridge nuclear ab-initio and energy-density-functional theories
The Institut de Physique Nucléaire of Orsay (IPNO) is a research laboratory with around 300 staff located on the Orsay campus (91) whose scientific activity, national and international, is mainly centered in nuclear and hadronic physics, astroparticles, radiochemistry, studies on energy scenarios, as well as construction of accelerators and detectors.
The successful candidate will work in the group of theoretical physics research under the responsibility of the coordinator of the project, in close relation with the other theoreticians.
- Expected to demonstrate a capability for independent research, for research on the many-body problem and numerical skills.
- Experience between 1 and 5 years would be appreciated
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France
- Physics Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France
- Chemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France
- Biochemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France