Research Fellow - Data collection
The 4 posts are required to deliver research which is externally funded by the ESRC. These 4 posts are for 2 years and the post-holders are expected to take responsibility for data collection and interviews with party elites and activists, undertake transcriptions and summaries of interviews, provide translations into English, contribute to data analysis and write a number of outputs
The responsibilities include:
- Collect research data. This will be done through a variety of research methods, such as:
- survey questionnaires, literature reviews, the collection of electoral and membership data,and interviewing of political representatives and party members.
- Analyse and interpret data.
- Produce interview transcripts, summaries and research reports.
- Provide translations of selected material into English.
- Contribute to developing new models, techniques and methods.
- Apply knowledge in a way which develops new intellectual understanding.
- Disseminate research findings for publication, including by drafting academic publications or parts thereof,
- delivering research seminars and papers at conferences, etc. Engage in knowledge transfer (including public engagement) and impact activities that are of manifest benefit to the research project.
- Undertake administration arising from the research.
- Deal effectively with problems that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines.
- Essential PhD in Political Science or related subjects, or equivalent qualifications (completed or close to completion).
- A relevant undergraduate degree, at a minimum of a 2:1 classification or equivalent.
Native or near-native competence in languages relevant to data gathering. These are:
- For Research Fellow 1, completing fieldwork in Italy:
- Italian and English;
- For Research Fellow 2, completing fieldwork in Belgium:
- Dutch and English;
- For Research Fellow 3, completing fieldwork in Switzerland:
- French, German and English;
- For Research Fellow 4, completing fieldwork in Finland:
- Finnish and English
- Advanced knowledge of the political context of one of the four countries.
- An interest in undertaking research on party organisation and party activism.
- An interest in international research collaboration.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly.
- Ability to co-ordinate own work with others to avoid conflict or duplication of effort. General IT and digital skills including:
- email use,
- social media platforms
- database inputting.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise effectively with colleagues and external collaborators.
- Experience of disseminating academic research through presentations and publications.
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team
- Experience of project management.
- Ability to assess and organise resources, and plan and progress work activities.
- Experience of interviewing
- Experience of use of N-Vivo
- Experience of research and/or publications on one of the parties under investigation:
- People's Party,
- Finns Party,
- Flemish Interest.
- Experience of undertaking research on party organisation and party activism.
- Experience of international research collaboration.
4 Apr 2019
Terms and Conditions:
Research and Analogous Staff (non-clinical)