3x Junior Researcher - Faculty of Science
- Full Time
Junior Researcher (up to three positions) (One-year contract)
The South African Centre for Epidemiological Modelling & Analysis (SACEMA) is a national research centre established under the Centre of Excellence programme of the Department of Science and Technology and the National Research Foundation, and based at Stellenbosch University in Stellenbosch, South Africa. SACEMA specialises in model-based analysis to improve health in South Africa and across the African continent.
Trained in mathematics, biology, physics, economics, statistics, and epidemiology, our researchers bridge disciplines to understand disease dynamics and improve real-world outcomes.
SACEMA is hiring up to three Junior Researchers, reporting to the Director: SACEMA. The ideal candidate would have a Master's in a relevant discipline, a passion for conducting quantitative research to improve health in Africa, a desire to learn new things, and excellent collaboration skills. Salary support will be provided from the SACEMA core grant and other external funds.
The positions will be based at the SACEMA offices in Stellenbosch.
- Conducting scoping reviews for potential research projects;
- Assisting with new and ongoing research projects of priority to SACEMA;
- Providing regular updates to the Director on ongoing work and training needs;
- Publishing research findings in peer-reviewed journals;
- Contributing to grant proposals to support the above-mentioned research programme and activities;
- Contributing to SACEMA's training workshops and short courses, on an as-needed basis;
- Peer-mentoring of other junior researchers (including students);
- Contributing positively to the SACEMA community through service and regular engagement with students, other researchers, and support staff;
- Promoting the reputation of SACEMA and Stellenbosch University through positive engagement of stakeholders and publication of high-quality, relevant research.
- A Master's degree in Epidemiology, Mathematical Epidemiology, or another relevant quantitative discipline;
- A good academic record during undergraduate and postgraduate studies, as evidenced by transcripts and academic references;
- A demonstrated aptitude for research;
- Good written and verbal communication skills inEnglish;
- Experience with scientific programming;
- A demonstrated ability to quickly acquire new skills and work in a collaborative environment.
- Fluency in word processing and data management skills;
- At least one co-authored publication in a recognised, peer-reviewed journal;
- A record of successful collaboration;
- Experience with Human Subjects Research ethics review processes;
- Familiarity with the broad range of disciplines encompassed by SACEMA's research, including infectious disease epidemiology, public health, disease ecology, mathematics, and statistics
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees) and copies of up to three publications, must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Applicants should request their referees to send confidential reports by the closing date directly to the following address: The Manager: Personnel Provisioning & Planning, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland 7602; e-mail: email@example.com; fax: 021 808 2484.
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments. The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates. Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof. Juliet Pulliam on 021 8082589, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753
More searches like this
- Business and Finance Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Life Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Cell and Molecular Biology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa