Town and Regional Planner - Department of Facilities Management
- Full Time
DEPARTMENT OF FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
TOWN AND REGIONAL PLANNER
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 6
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy. The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The purpose of this job is to deliver a professional service and make a positive contribution to the key objectives of the Department of Facilities Management in terms of town and regional planning and campus master planning. This will also entail effectively utilising internal professional skills and knowledge and for the incumbent to take responsibility for the planning, development, design and co-ordination of a sustainable campus environment. Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing professional town and regional planning services in accordance to the occupation specifics and competencies as set out by the council;
- Performing design duties including effectively contributing to the urban design and heritage matters of the University facilities;
- Performing a full due diligence for new properties and proposals and determining the risks and advantages thereof;
- Understanding the acquisition of development rights for a property and the ability to oversee and manage the various role players therein;
- Constantly and effectively liaising with local authorities, consultants, user client and internal UP Project Managers, the public and management;
- Compiling accurate feasibilities and budgets/cash flows for the proposed development, taking into account all factors;
- Monitoring, evaluating and commenting on development proposals of external consultants and developers on properties adjacent to the University precincts;
- Mediating and managing competing spatial and individual interests.
- Four-year bachelor's degree in Town and Regional Planning, OR
- An honours in any built environment degree with Masters in Town and Regional Planning;
- Registered with SACPLAN as a Professional Planner;
- Five years' experience working for a town and regional planning firm;
- Experience with stakeholder engagement; internal management, project and campus services, municipal authorities and private consulting professionals;
- Valid South African drivers licence.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Sound knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal land use planning to develop creative and original planning solutions;
- Knowledge of research and design planning policies to guide and inform strategic development;
- The ability to:
- Stay relevant with legislation associated with land use and land use planning;
- Prepare reports, maintain records and recommend appropriate actions or additional conditions to be imposed concerning planning, development and management of land use schemes;
- Provide development direction and integration with IDPs and associated strategies and sector plans;
- Manage and provide input into development processes, projects and programmes, between all relevant stakeholders;
- Co-ordinate the planning, development and management of infrastructure and ensure alignment with the IDP and associated strategies;
- Advise clients and the University on statutory and regulatory planning requirements in infrastructure planning and delivery;
- Administer planning approval processes on behalf of the University;
- Use information technology systems such as CAD (computer-aided design) or GIS (geographical information systems);
- Facilitate development processes and projects for implementation;
- Formulate and implement frameworks, policies, precinct plans and development strategies of high complexity and initiate development projects and programmes;
- Conduct surveys, analyse and synthesise, map, and use GIS and technology in planning;
- Fully computer literate with sound knowledge of MS Office;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Professionalism, a sense of responsibility and ethical behaviour;
- Interpersonal relationship and organisational skills;
- Critical thinking and leadership skills;
- Social responsibility;
- People driven by valuing human diversity and inclusivity and building safe and vibrant campuses.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Seven years' experience working for a town and regional planning firm;
- Experience in special planning, precinct planning, urban design, transportation planning, infrastructure planning and land use management.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 26 March 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms D du Preez, Tel: (012) 420 6817
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 May 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.