PostDoc electron nanocrystallography
The Abrahams group at the Center for Cellular Imaging and NanoAnalytics (C-CINA) of the Biozentrum studies 3D nanocrystals of proteins and smaller compounds, and semi-crystalline biological structures by electron diffraction. For measuring electron diffraction data, we use ultra-sensitive, radiation hard direct electron detectors based on the Timepix ASIC, which allow solving protein structures from a single 3D nanocrystal. Structures are solved using standard crystallographic procedures for data integration and phasing.
We study several biological systems in collaboration with research groups at the Biozentrum, at the Paul Scherrer Institute Laboratory of Biomolecular Research (PSI-LBR) and in international collaborations. Systems studied include membrane proteins, tubular structures and large, single protein complexes involved in protein quality control and breakdown. We have a fully equipped lab for protein production and purification and through close ties with the Paul Scherrer Institute (prof. Abrahams head PSI-LBR) access to synchrotron facilities and (in the near future) SwissFEL. At C-CINA, we operate a FEI Titan Krios, equipped with a Gatan GIF-LS and K2-Summit detector, a FEI Polara, equipped with another K2 Summit and a 512x512 Timepix electron diffraction detector, and a Talos Arctica with a 1024x1024 Timepix electron diffraction detector.
For supporting our efforts in method development and structure solution using electron diffraction data, we have a vacancy for a highly motivated postdoc.
Your responsibilities are
- Optimising procedures for sample preparation for electron diffraction studies.
- Developing optimal procedures for electron diffraction data collection using the rotation method.
- Developing methods for measuring electron diffraction/scattering data of large molecular complexes.
- Collaborate with biological research groups on structure determinations of protein nanocrystals, semi-crystalline single particles.
Applicants should preferably have experience in cryo-EM data collection. But also if you are an expert protein crystallographer with hands-on expertise in data collection and methods development, you are invited to reply.
The primary language in the laboratory is English.
This position is funded for two years, an extension is possible.
Please send your completed application (including cover letter, CV, reference letters, diplomas and contact information of two referees)
to Karen Bergmann, e-mail: email@example.com.
For further information, please visit http://c-cina.unibas.ch.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Switzerland
- Life Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Switzerland
- Cell and Molecular Biology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Switzerland
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Switzerland
- Physics Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Switzerland