English as a Second Language (ESL) Faculty Member UCA's Preparatory Programme
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a private (not for profit), secular University whose charter has been signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan, ratified by the parliaments of the founding states and registered with the United Nations. UCA is the first internationally chartered university in the world. UCA’s mission is to foster the socio-economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain societies, while helping the peoples of the region preserve and draw upon their rich cultural heritages as assets for the future.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking an English as a Second Language (ESL) Faculty
Member to have an active involvement in the development, planning, preparation and undertaking of all academic upgrading initiatives related to ESL instruction within the duration of their contract. This individual is expected to teach a cohort of 15-20 international students from Central Asia with a minimum TOEFL score of 60 and a minimum IELTS score of 5.5. During the Preparatory Programme at UCA the English curriculum and the teaching approach is based on integrated skills with the topics connected to core literacies and embedded in the Central Asian context as well as aligned with the Mathematics and Science curriculum. Consequently, the hope is for these students to upgrade from an ESL English level to become proficient at academic writing and research.
Overall Programme Outcomes for English
The ESL Faculty Member will teach a series of English Courses over 2.5 semesters and will be responsible for engendering the following learning outcomes among students:
After Semester 1, UCA students will be able to:
• discuss academic and short literary selections with understanding and to reflect that understanding orally and in writing
• comprehend oral information and be able to reflect that understanding in discussion and writing
• produce short essays with clear purpose and linguistic accuracy
• present ideas orally and in writing with confidence and purpose
After Semester 2, UCA students will be able to:
• Present written and oral information in a well-reasoned, organized and engaging manner
• Conduct research to inform the development of and response to a research question
• Apply literary techniques to the analysis of a wide range of texts
• Critique nonfiction texts to determine the validity of arguments
• Synthesize relevant information from a variety of sources in support of an argument
• Write fiction and nonfiction for academic purposes
After Semester 3 (half semester), UCA students will be able to:
• Conceptualize and write project proposals
• Design full scale projects that involves the presentation of written, oral, and graphical information
• Integrate writing from different group members into a coherent story with one voice
• Experience (5+ years) in teaching ESL to high school and/or university students
• Experience with ESL curriculum development
• Experience in developing and delivering training modules to other teachers, tutors, mentors, etc.
• Professional familiarity with Central Asian secondary and post-secondary education landscape would be an asset
• Native-like English
• Advanced Russian and some knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik or Kazakh would be an asset
• UCA’s English Curriculum is highly focused on helping students become very strong writers, so faculty will have to demonstrate their writing experience and knowledge in interviews and by sharing writing samples
• A Master’s Degree from a globally recognized university
• Ideally a Ph.D. from a globally recognized university in English as a Foreign Language, or Applied Linguistics
• TESOL, TEFL, or other teaching English as a Second Language certification (minimum 300 hours including a practicum)
• The ESL Faculty Member will: Report to the Dean of UCA School of Arts & Sciences but work under the supervision of the Associate Dean on Campus
Salary and International Package: Salary and package to attract the best candidate.
The job description is subject to change.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Tajikistan
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Tajikistan
- Education Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Tajikistan
- Art and Humanities Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Tajikistan