IT Systems Engineer
Information Technology Services
Our standing as NZ's leading tertiary institution is the result of our people. We are currently searching for a talented Linux Systems Engineer to join our Unix Services Team. ITS at The University of Auckland supports one of NZ’s largest and most complex IT environments with close to 50,000 end users.
You will be working as part of a collaborative, supportive group and your excellent interpersonal skills and positive attitude will be right at home here.
This role will work in a team responsible for the operational delivery, administration, and implementation of backend non-windows applications and services running on servers. As the more senior role it is expected to have an enhanced focus on continuous improvement and project delivery.
In alignment with the University IT Service Delivery Model, this role is responsible for supporting the implementation, upkeep, configuration, and reliable operation of services within the ITS service division at The University of Auckland, as well as managing, maintaining, and providing system administration 2nd and 3rd level support for systems and software. The successful candidate will also be responsible for ensuring that systems and services operate efficiently and effectively to ensure all required Service Level Agreement targets are met, investigating and owning escalated incidents and requests to resolution, fulfilling and managing project plans or work requirements as directed, and interacting with other ITS and University departments to play a proactive and valuable role in providing services to the University at large.
To be successful in this role you should have the following:
- An understanding of the ITIL framework.
- Excellent knowledge of Directory Services concepts, and an understanding of file and directory security.
- Excellent knowledge of server and desktop operating systems, including installation, configuration and upgrades.
- Excellent knowledge of server and desktop based applications.
- Excellent knowledge of Enterprise configuration and management tools.
- Thorough understanding of web technologies and related issues.
- Knowledge of Enterprise class application stacks.
- Good knowledge of HA configurations and impacts.
- Working knowledge of network protocols and technologies including DHCP, DNS and firewalls.
- Working knowledge of SAN technologies.
- Working knowledge of Cloud based software solutions.
- Ability to analyse and solve problems autonomously.
- Excellent organisational skills that allow the day to day planning of activities for projects.
- Ability to identify and satisfy customer requirements.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a wider team.
- Great interpersonal skills and able to deal with a wide range of people and skill sets.
- IT related professional qualification, or evidence of successful completion of post-secondary IT training courses.
- ITIL foundation certification.
- Industry standard Certifications in MS, Mac or Linux.
- Bachelor’s degree or similar IT-related qualification (Preferred).
- 5 years’ experience within the IT industry in a large and complex organisation.
- A minimum of 3 years server based systems and software experience.
Supported services for this role include:
- Redhat Enterprise Linux
- RedHat Satellite
In return you will be offered a competitive remuneration & comprehensive benefits package and a rewarding career with one of Auckland’s largest and most diverse employers.
Professional Staff Level 6.
The University has an equity policy and welcomes applications from all qualified persons.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students.
Applications close on 26th October 2016.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in New Zealand
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in New Zealand
- Information Science and Technology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in New Zealand
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in New Zealand