Marie Curie Fellow (Train2Target), Medical and Dental Sciences
ESR9 will be recruited as a PhD candidate to explore the molecular characterization of the BAM protein machinery by definition of the precise interactions between the BAM subunits and their interaction with substrate molecules and substrate chaperones.
Start date (planned): 1st April 2017
Application deadline: 15th January 2017
Partner: UNIMI, Milan, IT; Length: 3 months
Partner: CNRS-IBS, Paris, FR; Length: 2 months
Partner: AntibioTx, Hørsholm, DK; Length: 2 months
Train2Target is a multidisciplinary European Training Network funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action. Eleven research groups from academia and private sector have come together to address the challenge of the discovery of innovative antimicrobials.
Infectious diseases are still among the top 10 causes of death worldwide. The most relevant factor accounting for the high incidence of infectious diseases is the increase and spread of multi drug resistant (MDR) strains, which is leaving clinicians with very limited options to treat infections especially those from Gram-negative pathogens.
The bacterial cell envelope is still one of the best targets for antimicrobial discovery. Train2Target is an interdisciplinary project aiming at dissecting the biogenesis of the cell envelope of Gram-negative bacteria, in particular peptidoglycan biosynthesis and outer membrane assembly. The assembly of these structures is carried out by sophisticated molecular machines that need to be temporally and spatially orchestrated to ensure proper cell growth and division. The Train2Target project aims to dissect, at the molecular level, the function and coordination of core envelope machineries: to this end interdisciplinary approaches based on an array of genetic, biochemical, biophysical and structural biology techniques will be used. Innovative in vivo and in vitro assays will also be developed to find molecules that alter the function and/or misbalance the coordination of envelope machineries thus providing new drugs to be developed as innovative antibiotics.
The consortium consists of partners with excellent scientific qualifications in multiple disciplines. In total there are 15 open ESR positions within Train2Target. During the appointment secondments will be performed at the premises of other partners to ensure multidisciplinary training and close collaborations.
- • MSc (or equivalent graduation) in relevant area (e.g. Biology, Chemistry). Proof of English proficiency as communication and teaching language throughout Train2Target is English (not for native speakers).
- • High level analytical capability
- • Ability to communicate complex information clearly
- • Fluency in relevant models, techniques or methods and ability to contribute to developing new ones
- • Ability to assess resource requirements and use resources effectively
- • Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
More searches like this
- Business and Finance Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Life Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Cell and Molecular Biology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom