Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor / Professor - Department of Electrical, Electronic and Comput
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL, ELECTRONIC AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING
SENIOR LECTURER / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR (TWO POSTS)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
It will be expected of the successful candidates to:
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules in the Department;
- Supervise final year undergraduate project students and postgraduate Honours, Masters and PhD students;
- Conduct research as a member of a research group in the Department and publish in leading accredited journals;
- Raise and manage additional funding from national and international funding agencies and industry to support the activities of the relevant research group;
- Expand existing research programmes or initiate new research programmes;
- Perform assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature).
- A BEng degree from a university of which the undergraduate programme is recognised by the Washington accord or recognised by ECSA to be equivalent;
- A Masters’ degree in Engineering that follows on the previous qualification;
- A PhD degree in Engineering that follows on the previous qualification;
- Expertise and research experience in one or more of the specialist areas of the following research groups in the Department:
- Power Group: Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Electrical Machines, Power and Renewable Energy Systems, Smart Grid;
- Telecommunications and Signal Processing Group: Communication Systems, Coding, Signal Processing, Digital and/or Analogue Hardware;
- The ability to effectively teach large first and second year undergraduate modules;
- A proven research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals.
Associate Professor (same as for Senior Lecturer, plus):
- At least five years’ experience at a tertiary academic institution or industry related experience;
- A record of previous undergraduate and postgraduate teaching experience, and supervision of Masters or PhD students;
- An established research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals.
Professor (same as for Associate Professor, plus):
- At least eight years’ experience at a tertiary academic institution;
- A well-established and internationally recognised research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Evidence of teaching excellence;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have teaching and research expertise that complement the Department’s needs;
- Related industry work or consulting experience;
- An appropriate NRF research rating;
- Registration with ECSA as Professional Engineer or Candidate Engineer.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE:15 May 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof J Joubert, Tel: (012) 420 2164
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 May 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Computer Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- General Computing Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa