Training and Compliance Officer
The post holder will work across the Colleges and Corporate Services, and liaise closely with the Head of the International Students Advisory Service (ISAS) to deliver a suite of training to staff and students and embed intelligent regulations around the University Tier 4 Sponsor Licence and Immigration Rules. The post holder will have oversight of Tier 4 processes across the University and provide general advice and guidance, information workshops and a calendar of training events to support staff in the Colleges and Corporate Services. They will work with stakeholders in the delivery of Tier 4 specific activities throughout the academic year including, International Welcome. The post holder will contribute to the communication of immigration/Tier 4 related information to international students and non-EEA visitors in the University. The post holder will attend meetings as applicable and will have line-management responsibility for staff in the ISAS Compliance Team. The post holder will roll out a process of light touch audit activity across the year including continuous review of processes. The post will require specialist (OISC level) knowledge of immigration rules to enable them to provide specific advice and guidance to the University.
The post holder reports to the Head of ISAS and has dotted line reporting to nominated personnel within Colleges and Corporate Services.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
Decision Making/Problem Solving
(i) without reference to others
• Day to day communication/operational activities with staff regarding developments and implementations.
• Answer staff queries (verbally, by email etc) within the appropriate boundaries
(ii) after consulting others
• Non-Immigration matters - after consulting with the Head of ISAS respond to complex or unusual queries received from staff.
• Immigration matters - after consulting with the Head of ISAS respond to complex or unusual queries received from staff
(iii) or that would be referred to someone else
• High level OISC (immigration) issues or non-compliance arising from stakeholders - consult immediately with the Head of ISAS;
• Complex issues relating to overall project management within stakeholders;
• Educated to first degree level and/or have significant experience in an administrative role within a customer service focused area.
• Experience of working on Tier 4 compliance in a Higher Education environment including recommending policy changes.
• Experience of delivering briefings and training to Professional Services and Academic staff and developing advice and guidance materials for staff through a range of innovative and traditional methods including on-line delivery.
• Excellent knowledge and experience of immigration issues relevant to Tier 4 compliance (to OISC Level 1).
• Substantial project management experience and evidence of developing key project management functionalities.
• Evidence of experience developing operational and functional plans from strategic plans (including contributing to the development of strategic plans for a service area/team).
• Computer-literate with evidence of being articulate, confident and competent in the use of database systems, electronic communications, spread sheets, word processing and experience of utilising of software to support project management, such as Microsoft Project.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to engage with senior colleagues and contacts at all levels internally and externally together with evidence of the ability to influence strategic decisions and to work collaboratively on University-wide project developments.
• Experience of staff supervision and/or line management responsibility.
• Excellent management, leadership, motivational, organisation and planning skills.
• Evidence of ability to provide high levels of professional judgement, diplomacy, cultural awareness, sensitivity and the ability to anticipate problems and create innovative solutions.
• Excellent presentation (oral and written) skills
• Demonstrable ability to gather information and use analytical skills to provide management information reports.
• Experience of working independently, accurately, with attention to detail and to deadlines within a team environment.
• Excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and persuade all levels of staff.
• Understanding of the Data Protection Act and Codes of Ethics for confidentiality.
• Ability to prioritise and to schedule workloads in the face of conflicting demands, using own judgement to ensure the work is completed to time and deadline.
• Knowledge of current issues and government policy impacting on international students, immigration and internationalisation issues in Higher Education.