Technical Manager (Anatomy)
This is a senior post within the wider Infrastructure Team and as such the post holder will be expected to contribute to strategic planning activities for the defined area of speciality and the wider Infrastructure team.
The post holder is responsible for the management of a small highly skilled team supporting the Anatomy teaching facilities within the College of Medical and Dental Sciences.
The Anatomy teaching facilities service many of the degree courses within the College which have an Anatomy teaching element to them. Areas of responsibility include the new prosectorium facility, dissecting room, TV Studio and Anatomy teaching rooms.
The role is multi-faceted and includes, but is not limited to activities such as leading on the efficient delivery of support for Anatomy teaching sessions, the development of new and existing practical techniques for use in the Anatomy teaching sessions. The post holder will also be expected to routinely discuss with relevant academic staff their requirements and to implement these where practical including providing pro-active professional guidance on what is feasible within the constraints of available space and equipment.
The post holder will be expected to continually assess the efficacy of preparation, planning and delivery of the Anatomy teaching sessions and to improve upon this delivery. In addition, the post holder will be responsible for the management of H&S matters at the local level within the areas of responsibility. This post is pivotal in the delivery of high quality and successful Anatomical teaching sessions across a broad spectrum of teaching activities within the College.
• A degree in Anatomical Sciences or related subject
Proven relevant experience of managing such facilities and delivering high quality support services. Experience covering a diverse range of disciplines including Embalming, prosection & dissection techniques, Staff management, etc.
Personal qualities, skills and abilities
- Must be immediately effective in the role.
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to absorb and deploy new information quickly and accurately.
- Must be highly motivated and able to identify developments in technology which are relevant to their area of expertise.
- The wide diversity of teaching sessions which occurs within the Anatomy teaching facilities requires the post holder to have excellent organisational skills. This requires both short and long-range planning with relevant academic and technical staff.
- Must have a comprehensive working knowledge of HTA rules and regulations as it applies to anatomy
- Demonstrable experience of organising complex activity
- Understanding of the HE educational sector
- Demonstrable experience of team leadership and/or staff management
- Able to work independently with minimal direction and to instruct other team members in their day to day activities
- Able to show tact and sensitivity, especially when liaising with bereaved families
- Able to robustly enforce the regulations of the facility with both staff and students
- High level of professional conduct required at all times
- Able to problem solve simple issues and know when to defer, whilst offering solutions to complex problems for consideration by senior management.
- Able to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals from undergraduate students to senior academic staff
- Good computing skills, including the use of standard Microsoft office packages eg Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Understanding of the Health and Safety risks of the working environment and the ability to produce high quality risk assessments and standard operating procedures
- High level of attention to detail
- Able to work to strict deadlines
More searches like this
- Business and Finance Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Life Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Cell and Molecular Biology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom