The post holder will join the Host and Pathogen Interactions group: a large and dynamic research team who investigate virulence mechanisms in human fungal pathogens. This is a critical position within the team, in which the post holder will be responsible for underpinning a range of research activities and ensuring consistent and efficient delivery of research programs.
Specifically, a major (approximately 65%) aspect of the role will be to lead on health and safety, ordering, administration and governance issues associated with coordinating an internationally leading research team. Exceptional organisational and administrative skills are therefore essential for this role, along with clear communication skills and the ability to liaise closely with a diverse range of colleagues at all levels of seniority.
In addition, the post holder will be expected to spend around 35% of their time engaged in laboratory based research activities. Specifically, routine microbiology and/or tissue culture procedures will form a major component of this part of the job and expertise in either or both approaches is important.
- Exceptional organisational and administrative skills
- Expertise in laboratory research, preferably including one or both of microbiology and/or tissue culture
- Typically qualified to BSc or MSc level in a scientific discipline or, exceptionally, without formal qualification but with extensive proven track record in laboratory technical work
- Strong communication skills and the ability to interact efficiently with colleagues at all levels of seniority
- Ability to work efficiently and flexibly in order to ensure consistent delivery of research
- Enthusiastic team player
- GCSE (A*- C) or equivalent in mathematics
- In-depth practical knowledge of technical and scientific methods stated above and Good Laboratory Practice gained through extensive experience and formal qualification
- Extensive experience of similar laboratory based work
- Positive service attitude and shows courtesy in dealing with others
- Ability to organise and manage own work load and demonstrate flexibility in terms of work practices/requirements
- Ability to work under minimal supervision but function as part of a team
- Knowledge of current relevant H&S policies
- Proficiency in commonly used software packages