The only university currently in exile in Europe, EHU is supported by tuition fees, the European Commission, more than 15 governments – including Sweden, Lithuania, and the United States – and international foundations and individual donors. Adhering to the Bologna process, EHU is committed to humanities and liberal arts education as the essential foundation for successful professional lives and engaged citizenship of its graduates. EHU occupies the geographical and intellectual transition zone between Eastern and Western Europe.
EHU seeks to provide all of its students – undergraduate, graduate and doctoral – with an education that expands their horizons while staying in close touch with their homeland and preserving their cultural identity. University students and faculty take an active part in higher education mobility programs, international research projects and conferences across Europe.
The candidate selected will be employed for a five-year contract with salary and employment conditions to be negotiated. As the head of EHU’s administration, the Rector’s principal responsibilities are to ensure the delivery of an excellent academic program to its students, enhance the institution’s financial sustainability and represent the university with donors and partners. The Rector will report to the Governing Board (GB) and collaborate directly with administrative officers who lead a multinational staff responsible for all aspects of academic and logistical management. The Rector is at the center of the governance arrangements of the university and must assure that the interests of the whole university community are considered in the GB decision-making processes. The Rector also represents EHU at ceremonial and other high profile events.
- To lead the preparation and the implementation of the mission statement and the strategic plan of EHU
- To manage EHU and to organize its activities in various fields: academic, administrative, financial
- To engage EHU’s governance organs and implement their decisions
- To ensure the highest standards of teaching and research leading to an expansion of student recruitment
Candidate’s key qualifications
- PhD or equivalent in relevant academic field
- At least 15 years of experience with teaching and research at university level, preferably in the field of humanities and social sciences, including relevant experience with international university collaboration
- At least five years of senior leadership experience from a college or university
- Experience in working with EU institutions and/or its programmes or projects
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Belarusian and/or Russian as well as command of other European languages will be an asset
- Knowledge of regional socio-cultural context and experience in working with universities from the post-Soviet region in Eastern Europe or the Baltic countries would be considered an advantage
Applicants should demonstrate solid academic and managerial experience as the position involves daily administrative management in close cooperation with various entities and agents on multiple grounds: higher education, research, administration, finances, national and international regulations. Proven leadership and communication skills are key to assume this position.
Deadline for nominations and applications is September 20 at 12 noon (CET).
If you have specific questions in relation to the position please contact Dalia Kaminskaitė, head of HR Unit of EHU via firstname.lastname@example.org or +370 686 58870.
EHU values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.
For further details about the application procedure click the apply button below
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Lithuania
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Lithuania
- Sociology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Lithuania
- Art and Humanities Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Lithuania