Principal Research Fellow / Research Fellow
We are looking for qualified researchers for Principal Research Fellow and Research Fellow positions in each of our three action-oriented research labs:
Digital Peace Lab: focusing on ICTs for peacebuilding, supporting human security, enhancing responses to crises and mitigating human displacement;
Gender Tech Lab: focusing on promoting women’s empowerment and facilitating sustainable community-led development; and
Small Data Lab: focusing on ICTs that create actionable knowledge from local data to empower citizens with data they trust and to improve global datasets with local data.
Who are we and where are we located?
We are the United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS). We are a start-up research institute working at the intersection of information and communication technologies and international development. We are located in Macau, SAR, China. Our work is directed at the key challenges faced by developing societies through high-impact innovations in computing and communication technologies.
What are the responsibilities of Research Fellows at UNU-CS?
Your responsibilities will include contributing substantively to the research work and outputs of UNU-CS by conducting desk and field research, and social and computing scientific scholarship as appropriate to specific research tasks.
You will be working under the direct supervision of the Director of UNU-CS, Dr. Michael Best.
You will identify, compile and undertake reviews of published and unpublished documents.
You will be expected to prepare drafts and final reports of your research activities for publication. You will also need to disseminate these research publications locally and internationally in a variety of forms, as agreed with the Director.
Part of your responsibilities will include attending meetings and discussions with key people related to the research projects and activities.
You will be expected to produce policy impact through dissemination of key scholarly findings to appropriate stakeholders, as agreed with the Director.
Your responsibilities will include collaborating on project planning and project administration, assuming responsibility for the administrative requirements relating to your research activities. Your duties will also include planning, coordinating and evaluating the effectiveness of workshops and other activities.
You may need to assist in organizing capacity building activities, workshops and conferences related to the work of UNU-CS.
Part of your responsibilities will likely include supervision of the Institute’s postgraduate and postdoctoral candidates, as required.
You will need to carry out these responsibilities while residing full-time in Macau SAR China for the duration of your contract. Some international travel may be required.
Your work will also include assisting the Director in liaising with potential donors and collaborators. For this purpose, you will need to be proactive in mobilizing external funding for your research activities that fall within the scope of UNU-CS research programmes, as agreed with the Director.
What qualifications do I need for a Principal Research Fellow or Research Fellow position?
You need to possess:
For Research Fellow positions:
- A PhD degree;
- Or a Master’s degree with at least three years directly relevant working experience. Demonstrated research promise.
For Principal Research Fellow positions:
- A PhD degree, or terminal advanced degree, and at least five years directly relevant research work experience. You will also need to have a sound record of scholarly publications.
Both positions also require:
- Proficiency with modern computer programming and analysis environments;
- Skills in relevant social and/or computing scientific disciplines;
- Familiarity with interdisciplinary research methodologies and conceptual frameworks;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills, with proficiency in both oral and written English;
- Willingness to work in a dynamic start-up environment and to help build a leading global research institute.
- Strong interpersonal skills, sensitivity and respect for diversity to facilitate working in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment.
What are the contract and salary details?
You will be employed under a UN University Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) for an initial period of one year. This contract can be renewed subject to good performance and availability of funding. PSA contracts cannot be renewed beyond a combined duration of six years. PSA contracts are non-UN staff member contracts and do not hold international civil servant status as defined in the UN Staff Regulations and Rules.
The starting salary for the Research Fellow positions is US$3,907 per month; the starting salary for Principal Research Fellow positions is US$5,641 per month. UN remuneration is not subject to taxes in Macau.
More searches like this
- Business and Finance Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in China
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in China
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in China
- Computer Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in China
- General Computing Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in China