Marketing and Communications Assistant (2 Posts)
This post will provide a broad range of Marketing and Communications support across key research Institutes within the College of Medical and Dental Sciences at the University of Birmingham. This will include creating and editing web content, promoting activity externally through a range of social media platforms and independently producing internal newsletters.
The post holder will act as an interface between the College Marketing and Communications team and the Institute Management team providing essential Marketing and Communication support to large networks of staff.
The post holder will also be a champion for online content and social media activity within their designated Institute. This will typically involve balancing time between proactive communications projects and responding to requests for website creation/update.
This post will reside in the Institute management team whilst receiving professional training and direction from the College Marketing and Communications team to deliver on both Institute and College level strategic priorities. The post holder will also be the key contact for updating the staff handbook and online induction pages across the College.
- Educated to GCSE or equivalent relevant experience with a minimum of GCSE grade C or above in Maths and English
- Computer literate with an understanding of web content including structure and navigation
- Experience of using web content management systems to an intermediate or advanced level
- Experience of working independently to develop online communications and writing/editing corporate websites for large organisations, preferably in higher education
- Experience of using social media in a business environment
- Experience of producing newsletters and other communications to a high standard
- Experience of working in a busy and demanding customer driven environment
- Ability to independently communicate to and support senior staff
- Professionalism with a friendly approachable attitude
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and oral
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills with the ability to manage a busy workload with minimal supervision
- Good team worker with the ability to work effectively with staff at different levels of the organisation
- Understanding of the policy and legal context in which the work is undertaken
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to solve problems and trouble-shoot, including a willingness to resolve situations and knowing when to refer issues to others
- The ability to follow website policies and processes, and produce clear and engaging content that adheres to best practice
- Ability to maintain a high level of spelling and grammar in the documents being produced, correcting errors/omissions as required
- Having knowledge of the appropriate treatment of material - using the best format for a particular job.
- Experience of co-ordinating of video production is desirable
- Having knowledge of and enforcing quality and standards
- Adopting a positive attitude towards the development of new processes.