Faculty Accountant - Department of Finance
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 6
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
To provide professional utilization advice, control and management of approved capital and operational funds. This includes the control over external funds (grants, donations, sponsorships, contracts etc.) received from external institutions in accordance with the UP policy guidelines.
The section is also responsible for accurate and timely management, accounting statements and reports, and the identification and management of relevant financial risks.
The incumbent will be required to:
- Support the Manager: Faculty Accountants in achieving all financial and service targets;
- Perform financial and administrative control over the utilisation of funds in the faculty;
- Process and verify financial transactions in the faculty;
- Identify risk areas in the faculty;
- Prepare accurate and timely financial management reports;
- Ensure effective and balanced annual budgeting support to faculties;
- Perform budget control and support according to service level agreements;
- Support with purchasing/debtor and asset management.
- B Com with Accounting III, or equivalent qualification;
- Five years’ applicable financial accounting experience;
- Skilled in the use of MS Office – Excel (advanced).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Organisational skills and goal orientation.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Honours degree in Financial Management, Accounting or Auditing;
- Experience in a higher education environment;
- Experience in the use of PeopleSoft.
All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The total remuneration package for this position ranges from approximately R 617 910 to R 766 527 as determined by UP policy guidelines. (These amounts include the University’s contributions to standard UP benefits, namely provident fund, group life and funeral cover, but exclude contributions to medical aid, as the latter varies per employee.) UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
5 January 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Ms Adele Truscott, Tel: (012) 420 4929
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 28 February 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.