Research Fellow in “m6A mRNA methylation - understanding an essential mechanism adjusting ge
The post-holder will be based in the School of Biosciences and expected to conduct both general and specialist research under the direction of Dr Matthias Soller and his research group, principally in support of a BBSRC-funded research project on the “m6A mRNA methylation – understanding an essential mechanism adjusting gene expression during development and differentiation”.
They will work closely with Dr Soller and a technician to analyse the role of m6A methylation in Sex lethal alternative splicing and its impact on sex determination and dosage compensation. For this post a variety of molecular biology methods will be used including generation of recombinant DNA constructs and transgenic flies. This project will extend on the findings published by Haussmann et al, Nature 2016 and prepare for wider dissemination.
- First degree in Biology, extensive experience of research experience and a PhD or a PhD near completion in biology, genetics, biochemistry or related discipline within the life sciences are required
- High level analytical capability
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly, e.g. in spoken English, periodic preparation of PowerPoint presentations for progress reports and manuscripts
- Fluency in relevant models, techniques or methods and ability to contribute to developing new ones. Experience working with Drosophila genetics, cell culture, immunohistochemistry, molecular biology, biochemistry, confocal microscopy and imaging
- Ability to assess resource requirements and use resources effectively
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes as required
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Life Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Cell and Molecular Biology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Chemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Biochemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom