PhD studentship in Analytical Chemistry: Hsinchu, TAIWAN
The Laboratory for Biochemical Analysis is based in the Department of Chemistry at National Tsing Hua University.
The graduate research will encompass development of novel analytical tools based on mass spectrometry and optical detection. More information on our current work can be found on the lab website. (http://www.UrbanLab.tw)
Our goal is to educate a new generation of chemists by giving them an opportunity to gain practical experience in biochemical analysis. The forthcoming research topics extend over the areas of mass spectrometry, clinical chemistry, biochemistry, automation, and inventing new analytical instruments. Most projects are interdisciplinary. Some of them are highly challenging and their outcomes cannot easily be predicted. We welcome applications from candidates who enjoy doing scientific experiments. The desired personal qualities include: ability to solve scientific problems, commitment to high-quality work, patience, reliability, honesty, positive attitude, self-discipline and ethics.
Why come to live in Hsinchu?
- The city of Hsinchu hosts eight universities, hundreds of companies, and a university hospital. These form an academic cluster for cutting-edge research, technology transfer, and first-class graduate education and postdoctoral research opportunities, especially in the areas of chemistry, bioscience, and electronics.
- In many cases, the living costs in Hsinchu are relatively low (e.g. compared with studying in the capital city area or abroad). Many students and postdocs live within walking distance of their departments.
- Being an academic city, Hsinchu provides opportunities for interactaction with top science scholars: advisors for your graduate project, academic collaborators, and course teachers.
- Relatively few distractions let the students and scholars focus on research and literature studies.
- Hsinchu is a historic city with several tourist attractions. In fact, our university campus is one of such attractions: it has many green zones, sports facilities, and places to meet friends. Mountain park is located in the proximity of the university campuses. Hsinchu downtown is known for its shopping area; malls, department stores, as well as small shops.
- The university campus has many food outlets with superb, affordable Taiwanese and international cuisine.
- The city is well connected with the other parts of Taiwan by bus and railroad networks.