2x Lecturer/Senior Lecturers in Mathematics
Duty station: Recruiting for both Naryn, Krygyz Republic and Khorog, Tajikistan
Deadline: 12 February 2018
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 as a private, not for profit, secular university through an International Treaty signed by the Presidents of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan; ratified by their respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations. The Presidents are the Patrons of the University and His Highness is the Chancellor. UCA’s mission is to promote the social and economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by offering an internationally recognised standard of higher education, and enabling the peoples of the region to preserve their rich cultural heritage as assets for the future. UCA brings with it the commitment and partnership of the broader Aga Khan Development Network. For more information: www.ucentralasia.org.
Summary of the Position
The School of Arts and Sciences at UCA is seeking Lecturers/Senior Lecturers to teach at one of its undergraduate campuses, either in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic or Khorog, Tajikistan. This individual is expected to have an active involvement in the development, planning, preparation, and undertaking of all academic upgrading initiatives related to Maths instruction. They will also be expected to teach small groups of students from Central Asia by engaging them in problem solving along concrete examples and applications to abstract ideas.
Central to the vision of UCA is to create an outstanding teaching and research institution that excels in the generation and application of knowledge. Academic programmes combine the student centered environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. We are seeking someone committed to teaching and intellectually inquisitive.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Mathematics Faculty Member will teach a series of maths courses in the preparatory year of the undergraduate programme over 2.5 semesters and will be responsible for engendering the following learning outcomes among students:
After Semester 1, UCA students will be able to:
- Apply mathematical reasoning skills to identify the scope of complex mathematical problems.
- Select mathematical techniques and methods required to solve discrete mathematics
- problems. Use computational strategies related to Graph Theory, Combinatorics, Probability, Statistics, and Number Theory to model and explore concepts, ideas, topical issues and local context.
- Justify solutions through mathematical arguments that integrate multiple concepts.
- Use a variety of ways to represent and communicate the processes used and solutions to discrete mathematics problems.
After Semesters 2 and 3 (half-semester), UCA students will be able to:
- Apply foundational mathematical reasoning and computation skills to complex mathematical problems;
- Select mathematical techniques and methods required to solve calculus and vectors problems;
- Use computational strategies related to Limits, Continuity, Derivatives, Integrals, and Vectors to explore concepts, ideas, topical issues, and local context;
- Justify solutions through mathematical arguments that integrate multiple concepts; and Use a variety of ways to represent and communicate the processes used and solutions to calculus and vectors problems.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Experience (5+ years) in teaching maths to high school, community college and/or university students;
- Experience teaching courses in linear algebra and calculus would be an advantage;
- Some experience in developing and delivering training modules to other teachers, tutors, mentors and/or developing maths curriculum would be an asset;
- Professional familiarity with Central Asian secondary and post-secondary education landscape would be an asset; and
- Experience managing student projects.
- Native-like English is a must; and
- Advanced Russian and some knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik or Kazakh would be an advantage.
- A Master’s Degree from an internationally recognised university in maths;
- Teaching Certification from an internationally recognised university would be ideal; and
- PhD from a globally recognised university would be an asset.
- The Mathematics Faculty Member will report to the Dean of School of Arts & Sciences.
This individual should be prepared to move to Central Asia by June 2018 or earlier for acculturation and to prepare for teaching. UCA is currently recruiting faculty members for both campuses.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.