PhD Studentship: Implantable Optical Sensors: demonstrating the functionalization of hydrogel optic
Optical fibers are widely used in biomedical applications for sensing, imaging and therapies. Unlike existing solid-state optical fibers, soft polymer and hydrogel fibers offer physical and chemical properties well suited for functionalisation with biomolecules and long-term implantation into the body.
The aim of this project is to demonstrate the functionalization of hydrogel optical fibers with analyte-sensitive moieties and show swelling-induced sensing. The biocompatible hydrogel fibers may be implanted in the body for continuous monitoring of interstitial biomarker concentrations.
The successful student will form part of a multidisciplinary team and will be supervised by Dr. Ali K. Yetisen based in the Institute of Translational Medicine (www.itmbirmingham.co.uk) and the School of Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham.
Students must have an undergraduate degree or master’s degree in engineering, chemistry, physics, materials science or a closely related subject.
University of Birmingham scholarships are available for exceptional UK/EU students. Self-funded international students are welcome to apply this post.
- Glucose-Sensitive Hydrogel Optical Fibers Functionalized with Phenylboronic Acid. Advanced Materials. 2017, 29, 1606380 (2017)
- Functionalized Flexible Soft Polymer Optical Fibers for Laser Photomedicine. Advanced Optical Materials (2018)
- Highly Stretchable, Strain Sensing Hydrogel Optical Fibers. Advanced Materials. 28 (46), 10244-10249 (2016)
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Chemical Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physics Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Chemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom