PhD Studentship: Paper-Based Microfluidic Devices for Saliva Analysis
The analysis of saliva constituents at point-of-care settings can enable early diagnosis of metabolic and genetic disorders, low-cost screening, and surveillance of at-risk subjects. However, current minimally-invasive rapid saliva analysis systems for point-of-care settings have been limited in quantitative and differential diagnostics.
The aim of this project is to demonstrate a portable microfluidic system that allows quantitative analysis of biomarkers in saliva for point-of-care settings. The microfluidic system will consist of a capillary tube for sample collection, a reservoir for sample dilution, and a paper-based microfluidic device for biomarker analysis. The sensing regions will be functionalised with fluorescent crown ethers, o-acetanisidide, and seminaphtorhodafluor that are sensitive to mono- and divalent electrolytes, and their fluorescence outputs will be measured with a smartphone readout device.
The successful student will form part of a multidisciplinary team and will be supervised by Dr. Ali K. Yetisen based in the Institute of Translational Medicine (www.itmbirmingham.co.uk) and the School of Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham.
Students must have an undergraduate degree or master’s degree in engineering, chemistry, physics, materials science or a closely related subject.
University of Birmingham scholarships are available for exceptional UK/EU students. Self-funded international students are welcome to apply this post. Potential candidates should contact Dr. Ali K. Yetisen (email@example.com) and include a CV. Applications will be evaluated on an on-going basis until the position is filled.
- Paper-Based Microfluidic System for Tear Electrolyte Analysis. Lab on a Chip. 17, 1137-1148 (2017)
- Paper-Based Microfluidic Point-of-Care Diagnostic Devices. Lab on a Chip, 13 (12), 2210-2251 (2013)
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Chemical Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physics Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Chemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom