PhD Studentship: Wearable Textile Sensors: Increasing customer demand for durable and functional ap
3 days left
- Full Time
Increasing customer demand for durable and functional apparel manufactured in a sustainable manner has created an opportunity for nanomaterials to be integrated into textile substrates. Nanomoieties can induce stain repellence, wrinkle-freeness, static elimination, and electrical conductivity to fibers without compromising their comfort and flexibility. Nanomaterials offer a wider application potential to create connected garments that can sense and respond to external stimuli via electrical, color, or physiological signals.
The aim of this project is to design textile-based sensors for point-of-care applications. Electronic and photonic nanotechnologies will be integrated with textiles for applications in biosensing. Risk factors including nanotoxicity, nanomaterial release during washing, and environmental impact of nanotextiles based on life cycle assessments will be evaluated.
The successful student will form part of a multidisciplinary team and will be supervised by Dr. Ali K. Yetisen based in the Institute of Translational Medicine (www.itmbirmingham.co.uk) and the School of Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham.
Students must have an undergraduate degree or master’s degree in engineering, chemistry, physics, materials science or a closely related subject.
University of Birmingham scholarships are available for exceptional UK/EU students. Self-funded international students are welcome to apply this post. Potential candidates should contact Dr. Ali K. Yetisen (email@example.com) and include a CV. Applications will be evaluated on an on-going basis until the position is filled.
- Nanotechnology in Textiles. ACS Nano. 10 (3), 3042-3068 (2016)
- The nanomaterials designer. Nature, 526, 504 (2015)
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Chemical Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physics Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Chemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom