PhD Studentship: Algorithms and Machine Learning applied to Astronomy problems (HAL24K)
Algorithms and Machine Learning applied to Astronomy problems. Smart Cities. PhD.
Computer Science and Astronomy
The Department of Physics and Astronomy (P&A) at the University of Southampton and the fast-growing data science start-up company HAL24K (hal24k.com) are looking for a highly motivated student to undertake a challenging 4 years PhD project at the University of Southampton. The project will be based at the Department of Physics and Astronomy and is aimed at developing and implementing innovative algorithms to "Big Data" problems, specifically those at the intersection between the future needs of observational Astronomy and the current challenges being tackled by HAL24K (e.g. algorithms for smart cities). Of key interest is the application of deep learning to predict future time-series behaviour and modelling of image time-series. The PhD program will be jointly supervised by a member of the Astronomy Group in the department and a research scientist associated with HAL24K.
The criteria to be considered include, among others:
- Knowledge or willingness to learn and use machine learning algorithms, time-series analysis, etc.
- Letters of Recommendations (particularly if they come from researchers in algorithms and machine learning).
For more information about P&A and HAL24K, please visit:
Please contact: Dr. D. Altamirano (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Adam Hill (email@example.com ) for further details.
First or upper second-class 4-year degree or Master degree in Physics, chemistry, materials or biology.
Applications should be received no later than 31 August 2018 for standard admissions, but later applications may be considered depending on the funds remaining in place.
Four years (full-time)
Full tuition fees, for UK/EU students, and a tax-free stipend of £14,553 per year. Applications are welcome from international applicants but the applicant must make appropriate arrangements to cover the difference in tuition fee (more information on request).
Nine month and 18 month reports, viva voce and thesis examination
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physics Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Mathematics and Statistics Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom