Research Fellow - “Joining the Dots: from data to insight”
This exciting interdisciplinary programme is dedicated to creating a powerful synthesis of topological data analysis, machine learning and statistics for applications in medicine and computational chemistry.
This opportunity arises in the context of a new research programme developed at Southampton by a team of scientists from Mathematical Sciences, Computer Science, Medicine and Chemistry under the umbrella of the Institute for Life Sciences. The work covers a wide range of problems from developing new data analytic methodology, algorithmic implementations, to specific applications. Our exemplar applications include clinical studies of asthma (in collaboration with U-BIOPRED, the largest asthma research consortium in the world) and computational molecule design, which is at the centre of research into new drugs for major diseases.
You will have a PhD* (or equivalent professional qualifications and experience in Mathematics, Machine Learning, or relevant quantitative topic and a strong research background in one or more of topological data analysis, machine learning, neural networks, mathematical biology and have strong computational skills supported by proficiency in a programming language like MATLAB, R, SAS, python, etc . You will have a strong interest and track record in interdisciplinary projects and the ability to work successfully in a research team.
* Applications for Research Fellow positions will be considered from candidates who are working towards or nearing completion of a relevant PhD qualification.The title of Research Fellow will be applied upon successful completion of the PhD. Prior to the qualification being awarded the title of Senior Research Assistant will be given.
The position will be available from 1 March 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter and will last until 30 Nov 2019.
You should submit your completed online application form through the link below. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Charlene Tyson (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 6803. Please quote reference 965318PJ on all correspondence.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community. Please note that applications from agencies will not be accepted unless indicated in the job advert.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Computer Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- General Computing Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom