Professor of Applied Mathematics
Professor: Applied Mathematics
Faculty of Science
Department of Mathematical Sciences
For almost twenty years, Machine Learning has been a core research focus within the Applied Mathematics Division. We are interested in the foundations of statistical learning theory, Bayesian inference and deep learning, as well as applications of machine learning in computer vision, pattern recognition, natural language processing, and robotics. We attract top students for undergraduate and postgraduate studies, from the mathematical, computational and engineering sciences. We also collaborate closely with other divisions and departments (including Computer Science,Electrical & Electronic Engineering, and Statistics), and various tech companies in and around Stellenbosch.
- Researching and publishing on theory and applications of Machine Learning;
- Promoting and strengthening machine learning at Stellenbosch University and the within the broader South African research community;
- Securing research and project funding;
- Advising and supervising postgraduate students;
- Teaching undergraduate and postgraduate Applied Mathematics modules;
- Administrative leadership and acting as divisional head of Applied Mathematics on rotational basis.
- A PhD in Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or a field related to Machine Learning;
- At least five years' postdoctoral research experience;
- International recognition as an expert in Machine Learning;
- A strong background in at least one of the focus areas of the Division (statistical learning, Bayesian inference, deep learning, computer vision, or natural language processing);
- A strong track record of publications in internationally recognised machine learning journals and conferences;
- A strong commitment to teaching and student supervision;
- Willingness to fulfil a leadership role in the Applied Mathematics Division;
- Sound communication skills.
- Existing international research contacts;
- Existing industry contacts;
- Management experience in an academic environment;
- A record of successful postgraduate student supervision;
- Ability to teach in English and, as far as possible, in Afrikaans.
How To Apply
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment. Apply online by using the "Apply Now" link. Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and email address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date ofthe advertised post. Applicants should request their referees to send confidential reports by the closing date directly to thefollowing address: The Manager: Personnel Provisioning &Planning;, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland 7602;
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; fax: 021 808 2484.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof Ingrid Rewitzky on 8083289, or on email@example.com
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process:
Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753
Commencement Date 01 Jul 2018
Closing Date 28 Feb 2018
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Computer Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- General Computing Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Mathematics and Statistics Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa