Research Fellowship - “Sense-Seat” Computer Science
Type of contract: full time
Estimated Start date: 01-03-2018
Duration: 3 months, non-renewable.
Monthly stipend: 980 Euros, paid by wire transfer, according to the Portuguese directives from the ministry of science and education: www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores. The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
Job country: Portugal
Job city: Funchal
Job company/institute: Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (MITI)
Workplace: Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (MITI). This grant will be supervised by Prof. Pedro Campos (Madeira-ITI and UMa) and Prof. José Luis Silva (Madeira-ITI and ISCTE-IUL).
Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (MITI) invites applications for a position of Researcher in sensorbased user interfaces in the scope of the ProCiência industryfunded “SENSESEAT” project. The office furniture industry is a mature sector whose production value is worth almost US$ 50 billion, representing around 12% of total world furniture production. By 2020, the global office furniture market will grow at a steady rate of around 5%. The built environment affects our wellbeing and this in turn influences our effectiveness in the workplace.
Poor environments contribute to absenteeism and to people not working as well as they might. At present, however, there has not been any piece of furniture adaptable and adjustable to the user’s individual creative mood, as there is also no way to sense the creativity levels of office workers, which is especially relevant for those working in creative industries such as advertising, design, film, fashion and others. Specific challenges include the design and prototyping of a solution capable of mitigating distractions, fostering creativity and adapting to specific users’ profile and characteristics.
Main research field: Computer science, human-computer interaction, artificial intelligence, sensorbased user interfaces and bio-signals
High levels of environmental distraction, such as noise or prolonged exposure to crowded environments, are associated with less perceived support for creativity at work. Therefore, the candidate will engage in a specific target of prototyping interactive furniture capable of fostering creativity levels in the office. She/he will work together with a team of software engineers, hardware engineers, architects, interior designers and psychologists.
- To perform solid research around sensor-based interactive objects, office furniture and gadgets specifically targeted at increasing the productivity and creativity of office workers, in particular those involved in coworking spaces;
- Developing a solution that responds to previously mentioned challenges;
- Writing scientific paper(s) related to the research activities conducted within the scope of this project
This grant will be supervised by Prof. Pedro Campos (Madeira-ITI and UMa) and Prof. José Luis Silva (Madeira-ITI and ISCTE-IUL).
For any questions please contact directly Prof. Dr. Pedro Campos through firstname.lastname@example.org
The desired profile is the one of a person with proven experience and interests in any area of the following: sensorbased user interfaces, bio-signals, persuasive computing, software/ electronics engineering or interactive installations.
The candidates are expected to have a MSc or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Electronics Engineering or any related area.
- Good programming skills;
- Strong background in software/electronics engineering, human-computer interaction and artificial intelligence;
- Practical and/or research experience in user’s state monitoring;
- Proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing in English.
Legislation and regulations: The scholarships are directed to applicants under the law n.º40/2004 of August 18th (Research Grant Holder Statute) and the current conditions established on the FCT regulations http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf
The selection criteria include
- 40% educational degree and work experience;
- 60% interview.
- Prof. Pedro Campos (M-ITI, UMa)
- Prof. José Luís Silva (M-ITI, ISCTE-IUL)
- Prof. Diogo Cabral (M-ITI, UMa)
An internal evaluation committee - including Prof. Pedro Campos, Prof. José Luís Silva and Prof. Diogo Cabral - will rank-order the applications and make a final decision on the selected applicant. The jury may decide to not award the grant if no suitable candidate is found.
Notification of results:
An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant.
The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
M-ITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal
- Computer Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal
- General Computing Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Portugal