Research Fellow in Chemistry (Communications, Outreach and Impact)
• First degree with research experience, ideally a PhD, in Chemistry
• Experience of public and media engagement
• Demonstrable experience in science communications
• Ability to develop good working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders at various levels of seniority; and demonstrable experience of building excellent working relationships based on trust and respect
• Proven ability to use the web and social media as a means of communication
• Experience of communicating complex scientific work to a lay audience
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including targeting different audiences and using different media
• Advanced IT skills (including imaging software)
The School of Chemistry at the University of Birmingham has undertaken world-leading research for over a century, and remains at the forefront of scientific discovery. It is now pioneering new activities to engage the public with its research activities and is looking for a post-graduate with research experience in chemistry and a track record in science communications.
The postholder will manage the School’s relationship with the general public, as one of the key stakeholders of scientific research. The post-holder will work closely with researchers in chemistry to communicate their current research activities externally, making the most of the web and social media. He/she will also identify opportunities to raise the research profile of the School and its impact in the run up to REF2021.
The postholder will develop experiments that can be carried out in schools to demonstrate active research projects, through a project called ChemBam. The project will create a public resource for education, explicitly highlighting current research activities within the School.
He/she will contribute to the writing of bids and the generation of funding, and contribute to public understanding of the discipline.