Dean of the College of Health Sciences
The new American University of Iraq – Baghdad (AUIB) will open its doors on September 1, 2018. AUIB began as a dream of influential individuals in Iraqi and United States business, industry and government who want to see a world-class institution of higher learning established in the city, reminiscent of the days when Baghdad was an educational mecca and flourishing capital of the Muslim world.
The location of AUIB is centered around the magnificent Al-Faw Palace, near the airport. The main palace and many of the smaller palaces/structures are being completely renovated and will become home to the new AUIB. There will be a grand library, residence halls for faculty and students, cafes and coffee houses, and athletic facilities. AUIB will be a beautiful campus that attracts students, faculty and staff from throughout the world. We invite you to join us in this exciting new venture.
We invite applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the College of Health Sciences.
This position will report directly to the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The Dean will serve as the chief academic and administrative officer for the College of Health Sciences and, is responsible for developing and implementing academic and financial strategies, recruiting faculty, students and administrative staff, and maintaining the organizational structure that will serve and promote research, clinical and educational programs of the highest caliber.
This position will be responsible for:
• Serves as chief executive and academic administrative officer of the College of Health Sciences by creating a vision and advancing the mission of the College, with responsibility for academic and development functions, personnel, general administration and management, and budget.
• Plans for the fiscal and material resources needed to offer the educational, research, and service programs of the College.
• Administers the College's educational, research, and public service programs.
• Consults and collaborates with faculty and administrators on decisions related to the academic affairs of the College.
• Recommends to the Vice President of Academic Affairs the appointments, promotions, and tenure of College of Health Sciences faculty members.
• Serves as the College's representative on various University policy and decision bodies and is the official representative of the College to external constituencies.
• Collaborates with individuals, groups, Colleges, programs, alumni, and organizations within the University, and the broader health care community and the public at large to promote the goals of the College.
• Leads the College's development activities to promote the College's goals and vision.
• Assures compliance with the general policies and practices of AUIB.
• Assures compliance with the regulatory standards of the Iraqi Medical Board and with the professional standards of educational accrediting bodies.
• Responsible for the strategic planning and policy development activities of the College.
• Doctoral level or other terminal professional degree required from an accredited institution, including PhD, PharmD, MD, or other professional degree related to the overall mission of the College.
• Must be English native speaker (American, Australian, Canadian, South African citizen).
• At least 3 – 5 years’ experience as a Dean.
• A reputation for creative scholarship and a demonstrable record of fostering excellence in research, teaching, and service;
• Ability to think strategically and build effective institutional partnerships;
• Demonstrated administrative experience, a high standard of professional integrity, and strong team-building skills;
• Ability to articulate effectively the College's vision and mission to the students, faculty, alumni, practitioners, external funding agencies, and other decision-making bodies.
Salary and benefits:
• 2-year contract,
• 8.200$ per month tax free,
• Free Accommodation,
• 1 x Flight tickets after 1 year completed service, and
• Free medical insurance.
Procedure for Candidacy:
Applications should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Confidential review of materials and screening of candidates will begin immediately.
Please note due to the amount of CVs, if we do not respond to you within 2 weeks of date of your application, it means that you have not been shortlisted.