Senior Lecturer: Equine Medicine - Department of Companion Animal Clinical Studies
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF COMPANION ANIMAL CLINICAL STUDIES
SENIOR LECTURER: EQUINE MEDICINE
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- Teaching and practical training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students in Equine Medicine;
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital and surrounding community, including participation in a 24-hour service;
- Postgraduate training and supervision where appropriate;
- Research and publications in scientific journals;
- Networking with relevant industry stakeholders;
- Community engagement;
- Administrative and other duties as delegated by the Head of Department;
- Academic self-development.
- A BVSc or BVMCh degree;
- An appropriate MMedVet degree and/or equivalent specialty board certification
- Registration as a specialist in Equine Medicine with the SAVC, or eligibility for immediate registration;
- Three years’ general Equine Medicine experience;
- Demonstrate experience and/or interest in research.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Proven knowledge and competence in veterinary Equine Medicine;
- Research interest appropriate to the position;
- Candidates without a PhD: Commitment to obtain further postgraduate qualification in reasonable time;
- Good language and communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;
- Generic teaching competence including proficiency with presentation, word-processing and spreadsheet software.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience with relevant specialised procedures, techniques and tools, e.g. software;
- Tertiary teaching and mentoring experience;
- Exposure to research in an appropriate field.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply via the apply online button below.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self-evaluation which must address each of the numbered minimum requirements and required competencies. Applications that do not include these in the evaluation may be rejected.
CLOSING DATE: 30 April 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Dr Y Smit Tel: (012) 529 8141, or e-mail: email@example.com
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 June 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.