Senior Futurist: Africa
The Institute for Futures Research (IFR) is the first and only institute of its kind on the African continent. In addition to our academic programmes (M.Phil., PGDip, PhD) in Future Studies, we offer a range of commissioned research, training and futures-based, strategic advisory services to the private sector and government in South Africa and abroad. We aim to produce high impact, long-range research on methodologies of the study of the future and the systemic implications for business, government and the broader society in South Africa and rest of Africa.
The purpose of this role is to design and deliver strategic foresight interventions to corporate public-sector leadership. All duties are delivered within the context of three pillars, namely research, education and social impact. This role is distinct from typical professorial positions due to the industry-orientation of the IFR, as well as its interest in socio-political and innovation trends and their implications for long-range futures. The incumbent will study and communicate the critical long-term success factors for organisations in Africa to the relevant parties. The role will best suit a senior, creative, market-oriented thinker with a passion for strategic foresight and a sense of optimism for Africa.
- Defining the African Futures research agenda in a Mode 2, client-driven environment;
- Conducting applied research on the African Futures based on client requests;
- Managing the quality of outputs of researchers, including authors and faculty, and leading virtual faculty;
- Making presentations and facilitating executive education to senior decision-makers in both the private and public sector;
- Conducting client visits with senior management and defining their strategic research needs;
- Discerning Africa-wide trends and designing research solutions;
- Contributing authorship and editing IFR publications;
- Liaising with the media on IFR findings;
- Representing the IFR on relevant structures inside and outside the University;
- Sourcing funding for research projects;
- Facilitating strategic discourse with senior corporate and public sector leadership.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline. This may include Futures, Strategy, Innovation, Cognitive Psychology (Decision-making sciences), Technology, Africa Studies, or related fields;
- At least five years’ senior level management or consulting/advisory experience in business, government, academia or civil society;
- At least five years’ (potentially concurrent with the above) experience in a research environment in business, government, academic or civil society organisation;
- At least three years’ personal experience (non-vicarious) of executive education, training, teaching, facilitation and presentations to top level management;
- A proven record of publications in a reputable, reviewed domain, including in academic or industry publications;
- Personal experience (non-vicarious) of research, executive development or advisory services in an African country, excluding South Africa.
- Research leadership experience;
- Senior management experience in business;
- Exposure to work in the rest of Africa;
- International consulting experience;
- Senior level long-term strategy experience;
- Exposure to multiple African countries.
How To Apply
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment. Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Apply online by using the "Apply Now" link. Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments. The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates. Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Enquiries regarding job content: Dr. Morne Mostert on 021-918 4147, or on firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753
Commencement Date 01-May-2018
Closing Date 19-Mar-2018
More searches like this
- Business and Finance Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Sociology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa