Research Fellow - School of Psychology
Mindreading: Using multivariate pattern analysis to decode the neural basis of mental state ascription. The full time postdoctoral research fellow will work on this ESRC-funded project in the School of Psychology at the University of Birmingham, with Professor Ian Apperly and Dr Maria Wimber. The project will use advanced neuroimaging methods to test whether “social brain areas” that are active when we think about the minds of others actually encode information about what other people are thinking, or whether they control attention to information encoded elsewhere.
- MA, MSc or similar in Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience or closely related field
- PhD in an area related to social cognition and cognitive neuroscience; PhD finished or at least thesis submitted by starting date of post
- High level analytical capability
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly (including proficiency in English language)
- Knowledge of theories and models of social cognition and “mindreading”.
- Either experience with designing functional neuroimaging (fMRI) experiments, and with analysing functional neuroimaging data using SPM, AFNI, FSL or similar; ideally experience with advanced imaging methods including RSA or experience with electrophysiological (EEG and/or MEG) methods and analysis software (Fieldtrip, SPM, Curry, EEGLAB), including time-frequency analysis.
- Background in experimental psychology, including extensive experience with experimental design and statistical analysis.
- Programming skills (MATLAB, Python etc.) and experience with programming psychological experiments (using Presentation, Psychotoolbox, PsychoPy etc.).
- Good academic writing and presentation skills; ideally academic publication record.
- Preferably experience with both fMRI and EEG.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Education Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Sociology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom