Unit Manager: Biomedical Mass Spectrometry
6 days left
- Full Time
Central Analytical Facilities Unit Manager: Biomedical Mass Spectrometry (Ref. SAF/087/0318)
The aim of the Central Analytical Facility (CAF) is to ensure optimal utilisation of expensive multi-user research equipment in the service of the research community of Stellenbosch University, and the South African research and development sector in general. The Biomedical Mass Spectrometry Unit is a new unit that is being created to house a variety of state-of-the-art mass spectrometry and other equipment which is used in proteomics and pharmacology research. The Unit will provide the necessary expertise and support to enable this collection of equipment to deliver the maximum possible benefit to research at Stellenbosch University. In addition, the Unit will provide services to external University and industry clients to enable it to be cost effective.
- The manager will be responsible for all aspects of the functioning and governance of the facility, including:Managing staff within the Unit;
- Planning the expansion of the analytical facilities in accordance with research needs;
- Writing grant applications to secure funding for new equipment;
- Planning the services provided by the facilities to such an extent that the research interests of Stellenbosch University are best served and the Unit can function cost effectively and sustainably;
- Planning an implementation of responsible management of the equipment, from maintenance, through adequate provision for unexpected interruption of electrical/gas/cooling supply, to having policies and measures in place to prevent the analysis of matrices that will compromise equipment functioning;
- Formulating policy and procedures that encourage the training of selected researchers to perform their own analyses in the laboratory;
- Refining existing methods and development of new methods for analysis of different types of samples, so as to maximise sustainability and research impact of the Unit;
- Managing the general administration of the Unit, including reporting to CAF Administration;
- Managing relationships and communication with clients of the Unit;
- Waste management;
- Marketing the facility.
- PhD qualification in a relevant field;
- A strong analytical focus with experience of having developed or refined analytical methods;
- Experience in proteomics mass spectrometry;
- Experience in LCMS;
- Research experience as evidenced by publications in accredited journals that were a direct result of the applicant's own work;
- Good communication skills;
- Good basic laboratory skills;
- Expertise in processing and interpreting relevant mass spectrometry data.Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to complete practical tests relating to some of the requirements.
- Laboratory management experience.
How To Apply
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.Apply online by using the "Apply Now" link.Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments. The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed. Enquiries regarding job content: G Stevens on 021 808 3127, or on email@example.com Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753
More searches like this
- Business and Finance Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Computer Science and IT Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Information Science and Technology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa