Study Abroad Operations Manager
The Study Abroad Operations Manager works closely with the Head of Study Abroad in International Relations to ensure effective management of all student and staff mobility programmes at the University of Birmingham.
S/he is responsible for overseeing all operational aspects of study abroad, including the management of staff, systems and processes. The post holder will ensure that best practice is shared and adhered to in line with the core values and behaviours outlined in the External Relations’ framework. On a day to day basis the team need to work effectively with colleagues across the institution (for example Housing, Admissions, academic departments) so a collaborative approach, particularly with regard to problem solving is essential. The post holder is the primary contact with the admissions team who process study abroad applications, and is responsible for ensuring effective cross-team working in relation to this work to ensure a smooth application process.
The post holder is also responsible for ensuring compliance in relation to both internal and external regulations and policies, including those required as part of our membership of the Erasmus+ programme.
S/he will oversee the study abroad enquiries and advisory service, helping to set and monitor KPIs in relation to this area of work to ensure effective distribution of information and guidance, and that student and partner queries are answered appropriately within the required timeframes.
The post holder will lead on the management, collation, interpretation and presentation of student and staff mobility data to assist with the monitoring of KPTs related to study abroad.
The post holder will play a lead role in process improvements and system developments.
Occasional travel overseas may be involved for professional development and the sharing and identification of best practice in relation to study abroad processes and management.
- Qualifications to at least first degree level, with GCSE Grade C minimum (or equivalent) in Mathematics and English Language
- Experience of managing staff including recruitment, training, personal development reviews, and ideally experience of managing and motivating a service-led team
- Familiarity with student mobility processes in higher education
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of using student record systems
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve processes and implement improvements to enhance service delivery
- Ability to act on own initiative with a positive approach to problem-solving
- Excellent organisational and planning skills, time management skills, and the ability to prioritise workloads
- Positive approach to change with a proven ability to implement effective change management
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills in order to build effective, trusting relationships with colleagues both across the institution and externally in order to deliver objectives
- Ability to interpret data in order to recognise trends
- Ability to manage both large and small projects, balancing priorities, allocating resources and scheduling work as appropriate
- Experience of administering mobility programmes in higher education would be a distinct advantage
- Experience of having studied or worked abroad would be advantageous