Soil Biogeochemistry Scientist
Soil Biogeochemistry Scientist
We are looking for an experienced Soil Biogeochemistry Scientist to evaluate, validate and productize metrics for soil health and disease indicators. This position will focus on the study of soil microbial ecology, soil processes and properties, water use efficiency, and carbon and nutrient cycling in agricultural systems. The candidate should have a strong background in soil science, strong understanding of soil chemistry, biogeochemical cycling, microbial ecology and advanced statistical analysis. Experience in agriculture will be a plus. This position will directly report to the Head of Product.
Trace Genomics is a fast-growing genomics and machine learning startup with headquarters in Burlingame, CA (5 mins from the Millbrae Caltrain and Bart stations and 10 mins from SFO). Our soil health test helps farmers identify techniques to increase their crop productivity, establishing metrics to improve soil health and sustainability. We’re a VC-backed company with about 16 full-time employees (https://tracegenomics.com/#/our-team), forming an interdisciplinary team of molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, agronomists, software engineers, and data scientists. We work hard to build a culture that values transparency and empathy, encourages diversity of thought, individual empowerment and high impact of work, and supports for each individual to thrive in their own capacity and find the best fit for their strengths.
We are committed to employee happiness, diversity, and work-life balance. Towards those ends, we offer excellent perks, including:
● Fully paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, as well as mental health and therapy benefits and flexible work hours
● Work from home one day a week
● Catered lunches
● Plentifully stocked snack room and kitchen
● Flexible vacation policy
● A lot of flexibility to work in the way that you feel most productive
● Electric standing desks
● Commuter benefits
● Design, lead and execute lab experiments, field trials, collaborations, and procurement of datasets to evaluate and validate soil health and disease metrics using microbial ecology and biogeochemical assays.
● Work with the engineering, project management and the product teams to ensure that scope, objectives and resources are defined for timely completion of soil health and disease metric evaluation and validation for meeting product launch deadlines.
● Create and maintain comprehensive documentation of entire process from design and validation to productization stages of implementation.
● PhD microbiology, biochemistry, soil science, soil ecology, biogeochemistry, agroecology or related fields.
● Deep experience (5+ years) & strong publication record in soil biogeochemistry and microbial ecology.
● Ability to take initiative and execute swiftly in a collaborative team environment at a fast-paced startup.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
If this sounds exciting, we would love to hear from you! Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.