Business Development Manager
This will include:
- Developing relationships with key academic staff in order to identify and capture potential new inventions;
- Identifying and obtaining funds to support development or translation of research ideas into commercial opportunities;
- Assessing commercial potential and ensuring we protect new inventions;
- Finding commercial partners or investors and developing market interest in the inventions;
- Leading commercial negotiations which would usually lead to licencing inventions to a buyer or supporting a new ‘spin-out’ company;
- Creating reputational benefit from the portfolio of commercialisation cases under your management.
In order to be considered for this exciting new role, you will need to show us that you can relate to, and work closely with, academic researchers in a UK university environment.You will have a first degree (BSc) in a relevant subject and preferably a relevant second degree (MBA, MSc, PhD) together with at least two years’ experience commercialising new ideas in a relevant sector.A background in computer science, electronics and/or electrical engineering is desirable.
We will also expect evidence of your skills in the management, dissemination and exploitation of IP, including the ability to network, sell complex new opportunities and personally negotiate the subsequent contracts.You will need to have a good understanding of how IP is protected, the patenting process and preferably experience in working with patent attorneys.
It is also important that you are a strong team player with excellent written English skills and the ability to write concise and clear business cases and management papers.You will need to be able to communicate complex subjects in a way that the general public can understand. UoBE is based in a highly stimulating working entrepreneurial environment located on the vibrant Birmingham Research Park in Edgbaston, Birmingham.The employment package includes a salary in the range of £40,000-£55,000, performance-related bonus scheme and additional pension benefit dependent on skills and experience.
Additional details about the University of Birmingham, UoBE and Midlands Innovation universities can be found at: