Lecturer in Information Design - Department of Visual Arts
DEPARTMENT OF VISUAL ARTS
LECTURER IN INFORMATION DESIGN
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Teach Information Design and/or Imaging and Visualisation at undergraduate level;
- Supervise postgraduate students;
- Make an active contribution to the Department’s research profile;
- Carry out academic administration and other activities in the Department as determined by the Head of Department.
- A Master’s degree in Information Design or related communication design discipline and evidence of having registered for a PhD will be a definite advantage;
- A research record with at least one publication in an accredited journal and a practical design portfolio appropriate to the post level.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Expert knowledge of communication design;
- In-depth knowledge of communication design discourse;
- In-depth knowledge of core Adobe programmes (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign);
- Specialist experience and knowledge in broad-based communication design skills in the following sub-fields: Graphic Design, Advertising, Motion Graphics, Illustration, Information Visualisation, Animation, Interaction Design, Web Design and Typography;
- Good interpersonal and problem solving skills;
- Ability to nurture creative and critical thinking skills;
- Excellent language and communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- A PhD or evidence of being registered for a PhD;
- Teaching experience at tertiary level;
- The ability to supervise and mentor postgraduate students;
- Involvement in professional societies and/or research projects;
- The ability to adapt to a dynamic environment;
- International contacts are a strong recommendation.
The total remuneration package for this position ranges from approximately R 470 058 to
R 622 296 as determined by UP policy guidelines. (These amounts include the University’s contributions to standard UP benefits, namely provident fund, group life and funeral cover, but exclude contributions to medical aid, as the latter varies per employee.) UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
CLOSING DATE: 1 June 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Fatima Cassim, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: (012) 420 5188
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 August 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo personal credentials verification.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.