Policy & Data Analyst
The post is based within City-REDI at the University’s Business school and will develop and lead new policy relevant research projects and conduct research to the highest standards; utilising the latest research findings and data to develop innovative approaches to city regional development.
• Carry out policy-oriented research in collaboration with Institute staff;
• Research, write and contribute to policy-oriented research papers;
• Collect, collate, clean and analyse data for research purposes;
• Produce a range of outputs, including briefing papers and presentations, on policy-related issues;
• Help to ensure that the Institute remains abreast of and responsive to domestic and international policy-making;
• Help to maximise the external impact and visibility of the Institute
• Support the Administrative Director in developing new projects and policy ideas as part of the City-REDI’s future research programme
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience:
• Contribute to the overall research programme of the Institute as an integral part of the team and in collaboration with academic researchers as required;
• Design, manage and deliver key projects within the research programme by conducting qualitative and/or quantitative research to the highest standards and developing appropriate policy ideas;
• Ensure core data is regularly maintained and collected, and is used according to licenses and quality standards;
• Conduct quality economic analysis and/or policy-oriented research aimed at decision makers, either independently or as part of a team;
• Write up analysis for publication in a variety of modes including policy briefs, policy papers and peer reviewed journals, media articles, blogs and presentations;
• Apply the findings of the Institute’s research to the key issues in policy-making and communicate them in a timely and accessible way for decision-makers, working closely with the management and marketing team;
• Produce and contribute to a range of outputs, including briefing papers and presentations, on policy-related issues;
• Monitor and keep the team informed of external policy developments relevant to the Institutes’ research programme, including identifying topics and research questions for the Institute
• Responsibility for delivery of projects to time and on budget
• Responsibility for client management and revenue generation
Planning and organising:
• Collation, storage and manipulation of data, ensuring adherence to any license terms and conditions
• Day to day project management including costs, resources and delivery.
• Liaise regularly with academic colleagues to inform them of the Institutes’ activities and policy areas of interest.
• Provide support and assistance writing of research proposals and consultancy bid proposals.
• Support the Administrative Director on activities associated with City-REDI.
• Work as a member of the School’s Professional Services Team in pro-actively fostering effective, flexible, and efficient administrative interfaces across the College(s) and University offices to help provide co-ordinated services to students and academic staff.
• To ensure that the role and its responsibilities are delivered in accordance with procedures and regulations as defined by both the Birmingham Business School and the University of Birmingham;
• The specific areas of responsibility and/or tasks may change from time to time in accordance with the requirements of the School and its priorities of the time.
Problem solving and decision making:
• Decision making on research methodology and day to day project delivery
• Development of policy options and recommendations
• Design and delivery of content for publicity and generating client engagement
Internal and external relationships:
• Collaborate with Institute staff and associates to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the public and private sector;
• Present at Institute and external events;
• Play a constructive role in the life of the Institute;
• Engage with stakeholders in government, the private sector, the voluntary sector and academia to support and inform the Foundations’ research programme
• Represent the Institute at our own seminars, conferences and other public events as well as events run by other organisations
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience:
• A commitment to the aims of City-REDI.
• An understanding of macro-economic issues and how they relate to social policy and policy development
• An understanding of the UK economic and social policy landscape with knowledge and understanding of public policy issues relating to city region development, with specialist expertise in at least one specific policy/research area (for example economics, economic geography, economic modelling, social policy, governance)
• Excellent qualitative and/or quantitative research skills and experience of using a range of research techniques, as they apply to local economic development, for example:
o Experience of interview techniques and processes
o Experience of policy/research literature reviews
o Understanding of the data available for economic development analysis and constraints associated with its use
o Developing economic models and simulations
• Proven project management skills and experience of designing, managing and delivering high quality projects on time
• Proven excellent written and presentation skills in a range of formats (briefings, reports, media articles, social media and blogs)
• Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to establish effective working relationships with a range of people and the ability to work flexibly as part of a small team in a fast moving environment
• Educated to degree level or equivalent / equivalent experience in a similar role
• Proven ability to manage own time effectively and the time of others
• Ability to solve problems and implement effective procedures
• Excellent IT skills such as (Excel/Word/Powerpoint /Databases etc)
• Excellent Interpersonal skills and proven ability to establish working relationships at all levels.
• Proven ability to negotiate and influence others.
• Demonstrate ability to handle several demanding tasks concurrently and to prioritise workload. Working to tight deadlines and maintaining accuracy.
• Flexible, positive and creative approach to work and meticulous attention to detail.
• Flexible and adaptable to change and have proven change management skills.
• Experience in Higher Education
• Desirable to be qualified to masters level in a relevant subject
• Knowledge of research funding councils and/or consultancy commissioning bodies