Associate Professor - Department of Engineering and Technology Management
DEPARTMENT OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT,
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Graduate School of Technology Management (GSTM) is the first graduate school of its kind in South Africa and also the largest in Africa. The GSTM provides management skills and knowledge training to practising engineers and scientists. The GSTM offers internationally recognised postgraduate programmes at honours, masters and doctoral level in Technology and Innovation Management, Engineering Management and Project Management. Research is a high priority for the GSTM.
The successful candidate should be committed to excellence in research and postgraduate teaching.
It will be expected of the successful candidate to:
- Teach postgraduate modules in the Department;
- Supervise postgraduate Honours, Masters and PhD students;
- Conduct research as a member of a research group in the Department and publish in leading accredited journals;
- Raise and manage additional funding from national and international funding agencies and industry to support the activities of the relevant research group;
- Expand existing research programmes or initiate new research programmes;
- Perform assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature).
- A BEng degree from a University of which the undergraduate programme is recognised by the Washington Accord or is recognised by ECSA to be substantial equivalent;
- A Master’s degree in Engineering that follows on the previous qualification;
- A PhD degree in Engineering or Technology Management or equivalent qualification that follows the previous qualification;
- An established research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals;
- At least five years’ experience at a tertiary academic institution or industry related experience;
- A record of previous undergraduate and postgraduate teaching experience, and supervision of Masters or PhD students.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- The ability to effectively teach postgraduate modules.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Evidence of teaching excellence;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have teaching and research expertise that complement the Department’s needs;
- Related industry work or consulting experience;
- An MBA degree;
- An appropriate NRF research rating;
- Registration with ECSA as Professional Engineer or Candidate Engineer.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A cover letter summarising relevant experience and the areas of your teaching and research expertise/interests;
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 16 July 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof E van Der Lingen, Tel: (012) 420 5939
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Chemical Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Chemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa