Faculty Accountant - Department of Finance
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 6
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be required to:
Support the Manager: Faculty Accountants in achieving all financial and service targets:
- Assist the Manager: Faculty Accountants in completing the required progress reports and performance analysis on a bi-monthly basis;
- Comply with all legislation, regulations and national policy directives applicable to the Department of Finance;
- Comply with the Department’s risk management plan and identify and manage risks and communicate to the relevant line manager.
Perform financial and administrative control over the utilisation of funds in the faculty:
- Support the Faculty/Support Service with controlling budget spending;
- Review cost centres for overspending and irregularities;
- Monitor and resolve budget exceptions on invoices with inadequate funds;
- Follow-up on overspent cost centres with Cost Centre Managers/HOD’s.
Identify risk areas in the Faculty/Support Service:
- Identify trends that will influence the critical business of the Faculty/Support Service;
- Monitor compliance in the Faculty/Support Service to all Finance regulations and policies;
Initiate policy adjustments in collaboration with the Manager:
- Faculty Accountants through the appropriate channels.
Prepare accurate and timely financial management/audit reports:
- Compile detailed monthly management reports for submission to Dean/Faculty Manager;
- Co-ordinate year-end close in Faculty/Support Service including the monthly monitoring of over-spending, reconciling of advance reports, closing of requisitions and purchase orders and analysing of cost centres for completeness of allocations;
- Report on external funds based on requirements of the respective grant contract, sponsorships and/or donation conditions;
- Prepare ad hoc financial analysis.
Ensure effective and balanced annual budgeting support to faculties:
- Assist with management information for budget submissions regarding personnel, operational and capital budgets;
- Provide general support in the Faculty/Support Service with regards to the budgeting process;
- Allocate approved budget and capturing of detailed operational budget on the financial system.
Support with purchasing, advance, debtor and asset management on the PeopleSoft Financial system:
- Daily review of all approved purchases on the financial system regarding source of funding, expense allocation and adequacy of supporting documentation;
- Review of external fund transactions to ensure compliance with all respective grant contract, sponsorships and/or donation conditions;
- Daily approval of financial transactions as per the Financial policies and procedures;
- Provide training and assistance to Faculty/Support Service staff with regard to processing transactions in the PeopleSoft Financial System;
- Review and approve submissions for access to the financial system and to cost centres;
- Create new cost centres/projects in the Faculty/Support Service.
- B Com degree with Accounting III;
- Five years’ applicable senior financial accounting experience.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of the following:
- Application of IFRS standards;
- Relevant South African tax legislation;
- Management reporting;
- Accounting business cycles;
- Proficient in the use MS Office;
- Advanced competency in MS Excel;
- Appropriate business writing and communication skills;
- Accountability for own performance;
- Commitment to delivering value to clients;
- Planning and prioritising of tasks.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Honours degree in Financial Management or Accounting;
- Experience in a university environment;
- Experience in the use of PeopleSoft or equivalent ERP system.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The total remuneration package for this position ranges from approximately R 660 186 to R 818 975 as determined by UP policy guidelines. (These amounts include the University’s contributions to standard UP benefits, namely provident fund, group life and funeral cover, but exclude contributions to medical aid, as the latter varies per employee.) UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 6 July 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Mr Riaaz Dockrat, Tel: (012) 420 6223
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.