Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor / Professor (Three posts) - Department of Construc
DEPARTMENT OF CONSTRUCTION ECONOMICS,
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR (THREE POSTS)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
There are currently vacant posts in the Department of Construction Economics and applications are invited for the post of Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor. The Department offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Quantity Surveying, Construction Management and Real Estate. Abovementioned programmes consist of the following main streams: Management, Building Finance, Building Science, Real Estate, Building Services, Quantities and Construction Contract Law.
The successful candidate appointed with an Honours degree will be appointed on a three-year contract appointment - the candidate must complete his/her Master’s degree in the contract period. The successful candidate appointed with a Master’s degree already completed will be appointed permanently.
The incumbents will be responsible for:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in those aspects encountered in the Built Environment that are taught in the degree programmes on offer in the Department, i.e. Quantity Surveying, Construction Management and Real Estate;
- Developing a research programme in an appropriate area of expertise, or expanding existing research programmes;
- Publishing research articles in the foremost national/international accredited journals;
- Supervising postgraduate Master’s and Doctoral students within the research focus areas;
- Performing assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature);
- Participating in the Department’s community service programmes.
- Candidates for the post of Lecturer should be in the possession of a completed master’s degree or an equivalent degree of an equally advanced level;
- The academic record of the candidate must be excellent and must reflect the candidate’s potential to become established as a teacher and researcher of good standing;
- Three years’ teaching or industry related experience;
- Candidates for the post must be registered or be registerable with respective Councils;
- Professional knowledge and experience in one or all of the following areas: Quantity Surveying; Construction Management; Real Estate.
- A B-degree from a university in one of the relevant undergraduate programmes that is recognised by one of the respective professional councils in South Africa;
- A Master’s degree that follows on the previous qualification;
- A PhD degree that follows on the previous qualification;
- Professional knowledge and experience in one or all of the following areas: Quantity Surveying; Construction Management; Real Estate;
- Five years’ teaching or industry related experience;
- A record of previous postgraduate teaching experience and supervision of doctoral and master’s students;
- A well-established researcher supported by publication in peer reviewed journals;
- Proven experience as author/co-author of ISI journal publications published or accepted;
- An appropriate recommendation for a rating from his/her university;
- Research field must be aligned to one of the research focus areas.
Associate Professor (same as for Senior Lecturer, plus):
- Candidates with a PhD degree in the Built Environment shall be considered where the research and/or industry experience of the candidate has close ties with the teaching and research focus areas;
- Established national recognition as a researcher.
Professor (same as for Associate Professor, plus):
- Established international recognition as a researcher.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Show the ability to teach large undergraduate classes;
- Thorough knowledge of and experience in MS Office programmes, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Orientation in the use of electronic technologies and aids in the construction or property industry;
- Effective communication skills;
- The capability to operate collaboratively in multi-disciplinary activities.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Industry work experience or consulting;
- Experience in built environment professional matters;
- Past and current contribution to enhance the profession through committee engagement at his/her respective voluntary association or statutory council;
- Candidate must be registered or registerable with the relevant statutory Council in South Africa;
- An appropriate NRF research rating or if currently under evaluation.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 26 July 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof BG Zulch, Tel: (012) 420 4972 / 2581
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful. The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
More searches like this
- Business and Finance Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Chemical Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Chemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa