Senior Manager, Foundation Relations, Resource Development
The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff, spread across campuses and programmes in Eastern Africa, South and Central Asia and the United Kingdom. (www.aku.edu). as an international institution, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
AKU provides higher education in several disciplines, operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics and carries out research relevant to its regions of operation, all at international standards. In keeping with its vision, the University continues its ambitious geographic and programmatic expansion in the world where it operates.
The position will be based either in UK, USA or Canada. Senior Manager, Foundation Relations will be responsible for advancing relationships with foundations and trusts to secure grants and philanthropic gifts in support of University priorities. He/she will develop strategies, write proposals and actively partner with faculty and perse inpiduals, internally and externally, to meet these objectives. A member of a wider team of fundraising professionals, he/she will follow, implement and advance best practices in higher education fundraising.
The incumbent will also be responsible for:
- Pro-actively managing and advancing relationships with foundations and trusts, their trustees, senior officers and staff, and secure grants and philanthropic support for the priorities of the University;
- Advising, supporting, and partnering with university leadership, academic faculty, senior administrators, colleagues in Resource Development, and others to advance proposal development, fundraising and donor reporting;
- Managing a portfolio of foundations and trusts and meet ambitious targets including numbers of: meetings, asks, and proposals submitted, and specific financial goals;
- Maintaining strong communications and close working relationships with the Office of the Provost, Finance Office and university research grants staff, ensuring effective coordination, transparency and clarity around donor relationships, and roles and responsibilities;
- Working closely with volunteers to advance fundraising and donor relationships;
- Actively participating in the identification and cultivation of new prospective foundation and trust donors;
- Ensuring that university and department policies and procedures related to fundraising and advancement services, including donor contact reports, are observed and implemented, aspiring to best practice;
- Collaborating with colleagues across the Office of Resource Development on fundraising strategies, sharing best practices and advancing shared objectives;
- Implementing and/or supporting high quality, consistent and sustainable donor communications, donor cultivation activities, donor reporting, and donor stewardship, ensuring that the reporting requirements of foundations are strictly observed;
- Participating in fundraising meetings, events, special programmes, etc.;
- Ensuring highest level of professional standards related to cultural sensitivity, ethical behavior and personal discretion;
- Travelling regularly to meet donors and, as necessary, to meet faculty and staff on university campuses. Participating in strategic meetings internationally, in-person or virtually.
You should have:
- A University degree;
- An interest in, and understanding of, higher education, philanthropy and fundraising, and the mission and subject areas of the Aga Khan University;
- Minimum of five years’ experience in major gift fundraising in a university or non-profit organisation, and specifically a track record of cultivating, soliciting, and securing grants from foundations;
- Experience working with international foundations, with international projects and / or in an international institution;
- Ability to develop strong, collaborative working relationships, internally and externally, to meet institutional objectives;
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, and proposal and report writing experience. The ability to communicate complex ideas across a range of subjects in a clear and concise manner;
- Experience of managing multiple projects, meeting ambitious targets, and delivering work to tight deadlines;
- Knowledge and experience of Raiser’s Edge or a similar contact management database;
- Strong ethical behaviour and an ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately and with discretion;
- Resourceful and independent, but comfortable working within the framework of an integrated fundraising program and team-oriented environment;
- Knowledge of or proven sensitivity to perse cultures, including preferably, the Islamic and developing world;
- Creative and diplomatic skills and an ability to understand the perspective of perse inpiduals to meet shared objectives;
- Willingness to travel to the University campuses and other locations.