Electro Mechanical Technician
Job PurposeThe Electro-Mechanical Technician will support the work of the research and teaching activities within the School of Metallurgy and Materials. The post holder will be responsible for maintaining research kit, diagnosing problems and resolving system problems. Metallurgy and Materials Research laboratories comprise a wide range activities and associated risks with significant industrial collaboration that need to be maintained with a high level of technical skill.
The post holder will assist staff and students in setting up experiments and provide training in the use of equipment and implement safety procedures. The research themes include functional materials, battery recycling, cast metals, surface engineering, polymers and sensors, advanced materials processing, robotics and associated characterisation. The post holder will also be expected to support and maintain services in these areas including gas and chiller systems, welding, crane and slinging, fork lift driving.
Additional specific duties associated with keeping the building safe and operational via the Technical Manager are also part of the post holder duties.
- Extensive knowledge of working within an Engineering research area.
- BTEC / HNC in electrical engineering or equivalent
- Proven experience in mechanical workshop techniques, including the use of machine tools, industrial gases, and welding
- Trained (or willingness to be trained) to drive pedestrian fork-lift truck
- Trained (or willingness to be trained) to operate overhead cranes
- Extensive knowledge of Pneumatic and Vacuum systems.
- Proven experience in ability to respond to changing priorities.
- Proven experience in ability to respond to changing priorities
- Proven experience and ability to implement and test new systems.
- Experience and knowledge of managing a building and its services
- Experience of working with Estates/ Maintenance or Equivalent
- Experience of working within a compliance based organisation and relevant safety good practice i.e. the 5S methodology
- Qualified Electrician
- Current, full, valid driving licence
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Chemical Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Chemistry Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom